We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

Hello Tripadvisors,

Just a quick question for you experts. I am traveling to PV next month and I was wondering if it would be better to exchange US Dollars to Pesos at home, or wait until I get to PV to exchange. Your help is appreciated.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

we generally just get peso's at the atms with our debit cards as we get the best rate and have a good international fee for withdrawls

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

Don't bother changing til you get to Puerto Vallarta. There are plenty of ATM's to withdraw pesos or find a casa de cambio, which are plentiful also to exchange your money.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

I used to get $100 in Pesos for arrival taxi & tips at my departure airport in case there were long lines or the ATM or it was not working at the PV airport, then ATMs the rest of the time, I use an ATM where you scan the card so it does not get swallowed like in some older machines...have fun

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

If I don't have any leftover from a previous trip, I pay for my taxi with USD (you will get a lesser rate of exchange like 10/1 instead of 13/1) and deal with it after I've checked into my hotel and dropped my luggage. Then I go back out and change USD for peso at a cambio (exchange booth) or use my ATM card to withdraw peso directly.

It is never a good value to get them at home (bank fees and poor rates).

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

Never seen a line at the airport ATMs and never seen them not working, but in that very unlikely event, the Taxi Booths will take dollars, just not at a very good rate of exchange.

6. Re: Question about currency. Peso vs US Dollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 19, 2010