We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Intro Tour of PVR

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Orlando
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Intro Tour of PVR

The last time I was to PVR, (10 yrs ago) I took a city tour booked thru the Westin. It was a nice tour. I"ll be arriving the last week of Oct. with some first time visitors to PVR. I wanted to start the week off with a nice city tour. The thing I enjoyed about the previous tour was lunch at Chico's Paradise.

Ten years later, who would you suggest for the best city tour?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

Well Chico's nowhere near the 'City', best way to see town is to take a bus to 'Centro' and walk around, downtown is only about 13 blocks long, continue to the south side, another 8 blocks.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

Get in touch with Tony Sanchez. Not sure of his website address...someone here will know or just enter Tony Sanchez in the search bar. He specializes in private tours. He has some set tours for the city, north of PV, inland colonial villages, etc. but we totally customized our day with him. He has a nice large van, is extremely personable and extremely knowledgable about the area. A day with Tony will be very enjoyable and informational. I am sure he would take you to Chico's if you specifically request that.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

Tony is good, if you have a good size group as he charges for the whole van - up to 14 passengers. About $200.00 for the day.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

For info, descriptions, rates, booking, and etc. on Tony's tours:

http://vallartainfo.com/tony.html#city

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

Re: a city tour -- several organized tours are available, but imho, are really not necessary. Most areas of Puerto Vallarta are easy to navigate, and get to see and experience, and with the help of a map or two, along with some suggestions of 'walks', it's fun and very accessible to do on your own.

The small tourist office in the downtown, has lots of 'freebie' maps, brochures, and the like -- some the latter contain great suggestions and descriptions for "walking tours". It's located near the Plaza and City Hall, northwest corner of the Plaza, just down from the church.

Plus, there's just about all you would or could ever need to know about the city, along with some great street maps at:

http://vallartainfo.com/index.html

Whatever you do or arrange, enjoy!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

If you want to see the real Mexico and Vallarta including areas of the bay where most likely your waiters, housekeepers, bartenders, etc I recommend the Sierra Madre Expedition by Vallarta Adventures. THE best way to see the Vallarta that you don't see staying in tourist areas. Typical towns, villages, plazas, driving through the rainforest, beach BBQ and great guides. I recommend to ask for Gustavo, Juan Carlos or Chava as your guide.

this could quite possibly be the best thing you do during your stay in PV... it's that good. :)

castlegar BC
Level Contributor
500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

I totally enjoyed the "inner city tour" also arranged by our hotel(free, welcome to PV kind of thing) know some of the people will say it isnt that good except for tourists, and hey, i was a tourist and i thouroughly enjoyed it and learned alot of stuff i didnt know, it was very informative, We went to the church with the one piece of wood carving of jesus(very cool) then i know it was a mickey mouse tour of a tequilla factory but i enjoyed it(typical tourist), then i had to laugh, they take you to a jewelry store after you have sampled ALOT of tequilla but i had read on here that there was a fun "tile" store across the street so the jewelry store didnt get me. Then up into what they call the jungle for lunch which was very enjoyable and i am wondering if it is the same place you mentioned..maybe.aAnyways, it kind of sounds like the one you took ten years ago, but i am going to take it again with newbie friend to PV..because i did learn alot!..lol..and the price was right!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

There are organized walking tours as well ... and they can be very interesting and informative. We have not partaken of such, but have seen them 'in action' via our own walkabouts (on the Malecon, and about various streets of downtown), and have talked to neighbours at our hotel who have taken and enjoyed them.

There's an early-morning talk/walk that concentrates on the art featured on the Malecon -- it gets "raves" from anyone we've talked to about it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

Florida....

I know how you feel....wanting to make sure your friends have a good overview, as well as renewing your own 10-year past experience in PV.

Last year (my 14th trip to PV, since 1983) we had friends come in for the day on a cruise ship and we wanted to give them a decent overview of an incredible place that we love. They only had a day though, so we took them on the bus (we were staying at Los Tules and they met us, via cab from the terminal, there) and we went downtown, to the Malecon and saw all the sculptures. Then we went to the Visitor Center (that Johnny mentioned) and walked them all over town, and then we had lunch on the beach, at Cuates y Cuetes. Very relaxing day ---taking them to our favorite places over a 7 hour period.

However, since it seems like your newbie friends will be there with you for several days, I understand your interest in taking them on a City Tour, early-on, to get the lay of the land.

Where are you staying? That matters, sometimes.

You ask what tour company might be able to suit your needs. We've taken Banderas Bay Travel (for tours of San Sebastian and San Blas) --- they have a City Tour also. I've been very happy with their service so, if you want to take a bus tour all over the city of PV, to help your friends get a basic quick knowledge of PV (with someone who will narrate), I give Banderas Bay Travel good reviews. Booking a tour on the Internet gives you a discount.

Have a great time on your upcoming return to PV.

Orlando
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Intro Tour of PVR

We will be staying at the Shearton.