We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Just received confirmation on our arrival and departure times for PV and they are horrendous. Arrive in PV at 2:50am, we are flying through sinature vacations so I'm hoping they will be there to pick us up at that time (yes I'm a newbie!!) The only plus is that Im sure not all the timeshare sharks will be around at that hour haha.

The big problem is that we don't fly out of PV until 3:50am!!!!!

I know that we have to check out of the hotel by noon so we have all day to kill in PV which is not a big deal but since our hotel is way out in Neuvo Vallarta is there a place to store our luggage anywhere?

Im starting to worry a little even though I know everything will be fine and we always go with the flow on our hols....I think I need reassurance.

Anyone else had experience with these awful travel times.

Diolch yn fawr!

Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Signature will definitely be there to greet you at the airport.

As for the check out time, that really s*cks but you're right, you do have to check out by noon. The hotel will keep your bags for you until you are ready to go. Most hotels have courtesy rooms where you can go shower or change before you leave.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Yikes, those are particularly bad arrival/departure times. Signature staff will be there alright, with the transfers, but 'ouch', like you said, they are sure horrible times for you to have to arrange "your time" and "what to do" around.

I guess we thought that ours had been bad when we did the Royal Decameron in '04. We arrived at the resort just before mid-night, and in the darkness of the night, and not knowing where anything was located, let alone the building that had our room, we stubbled around on our own until a security guard offered to help us. I guess that was the 'negative' of our late arrival, the 'positive' was the late-night snack bar was open, and when we were able to find it, we were able to relax a little from the whole ordeal, and and sit back and enjoy a beer and a very decent hamburger!!

Our departure was slated for in the evening, a far cry from yours, but for us (two seniors, and my lady-friend has a heart condition and must have "rest times" during the day), it was a long time from the resort's official check-out time. A few days before we were to depart, we sought help from our tour operator's on site 'rep' (Air Transat Vacations) in an attempt to get a late check-out from our room. No more success than when we had talked to the hotel desk directly earlier -- for 'several' US$, they would allow us to stay in our room for an additional couple of hours -- thanks, but no thanks. We went to the resort's 'personal relations (?) director' next, and he turned things around for us. He got us a 'real' late check -- we were allowed to keep our room until 5pm -- and at 'half the cost' of the other offer. We accepted, and it made all the difference in the world to our last day at the Decameron. But it's something we sure had to work to get!!

At the Tropicana last December, our departure was also an evening one, but not quite as late as the other, though the hotel's check-out time was the same. The hotel allowed us to keep our room for as long as we wished -- very nice people there!! But being in the city, and so close to everything, we gave up our room in the mid-afternoon, and headed out for an early-dinner before coming back for our arranged-transfer from the hotel to the airport.

We've decided to do it a little differently this year, and use regularly-scheduled flights (as opposed to the charters) down & back. The flight times (they've provided at this time!) sure look better than those we've dealt with before, using the charters from Vancouver, hopefully, it will stay that way! We'll do our own transfers this time, and not at the convenience of a tour operator. It's a new way of doing it for us.

I'll bet you get to arranging something enjoyable to pass all that time you'll have before the return flight. Have a great time and enjoy your stay (eh)!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Thanks for your input. I have never experienced flight times like these before and have flown a lot but oh well!

Im going to give Signature a call on Monday and find out what the heck we can do with our stuff for the day. On the bright side it does mean extra hours in the sun during the dead of winter :)

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Don't worry, you won't have a problem with your stuff!! As it has already been said, you will be able to arrange with the hotel to have your stuff stored until your departure time. And most hotels have "hospitality rooms" (or the like) they designate to guests that have checked-out, but cannot leave, and require a "freshening-up, changing of clothes, and the like" for a late departure.

But heh, I'd call Signature too! It can't hurt, and it could, and hopefully, may/should, help to relieve some of your concerns!!

Good luck!!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,919 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Be aware that the Hosp. rooms are not "come and go as you please" Most resorts have 1 or 2 rooms and you take alotted time to shower and change before you leave for the airport. Depending on how many people are leaveing resort at that time , can make your time SHORT . Lol

Alberta- We had a LuLu in Cancun one time, plus they had a time change,Bus/transfer forgot the time change! Guests were panicing and lots took cabs to airport. Lol

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Yes, I had a schedule like yours once and was able to save a night's hotel charge by checking in at 5am. Nothing more depressing than having to get up at 5-6am for a return flight home! Make the best of it and have an adventure!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

What dates are you going/and coming home?? I can't believe the way these charters are changing...and really not for the better for travelers.

We had looked at Signature for Nov 5 - 12 flights and they were also goofy...leave Calgary late on Saturday (lose 1st day of vacation) and then leave P.V. early on the next Saturday to come home (lose last day of vacation). When you only have 1 week - the times really bite. We decided to go through Vancouver instead - now I'm a little concerned that those times may also change.

Don't worry at all about your last day...here is what we'd likely do. Have a lazy am, enjoy the day (doing whatever makes you the happiest), have your last meal (at the property or maybe your new favorite restaurant), and get showered up during the evening because you'll likely have to head for the airport by midnight. With this said you will then likely sleep on your flight home.

A word of caution - when you leave your bags in storage that the hotel provides make sure your bags are secure. Have read postings that some bags were gone thro' - don't want to end your holiday on a sour note.

But - remember those goofy time could possibly still change.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Go to sunholidays.ca, Oct 1, Calgary to PV. All of the 'off hour'

packages are 8 days not 7 which actually provides you with an extra full day of vacation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst arrival /departure times ever :(

Thanks for your replies. I have just realized that we will be able to enjoy 7 full days in Mexico as we leave Jan 1 and won't arrive back in Calgary until the morning of the Jan 9th. I guess there is always a bright side, its better than using 2 days of your week with travelling . Although you are right that these times could change by then.