We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
TX
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Please note that Puerto Vallarta is NOT affected.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

ORTONVILLE
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

i read the us state dept travel warning but i was still concerned. i thank you for the info.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Hi Kaz, I posted on your other thread.

I totally understand your concern and want to hear from people who are here, have been here recently etc.

Everything is normal here except there is, I believe, a certain heightened awareness of all of this on the part of police and other officials, but in a preventative sense, only because it is a port. Not unlike much of US Homeland Security policy in the wake of 9/11. But, otherwise, it´s just like always.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Bajablonde, Thanks so much for providing the official info. That said, I am really looking forward to being in the PV area next week, staying until May 16!

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Please note: There is a travel alert in effect for Mexico, not a travel warning. The difference is:

Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff.

*as taken from …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

Mexico is not on the US governments list of countries with a "Travel Warning".

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Thanks, maybe this will stop the 5 daily threads of "Is Mexico Safe?".... but I doubt it!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Can't this topic be made a sticky so it's available at the top for anyone with concerns to read?

People hearing about this are genuinly concerned because it's all over the news. If I hadn't been to PV & was hearing this all over the news, and had friends wondering why I was considering travel to Mexico, I'd be questioning this too.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

Thanks bajablonde....you are correct it is an alert not a warning....since I live here I get these directly via email from the US Consulate. They just give advise to be aware and alert.

As Carey says there is heightened sense of awareness within military and police but otherwise it is as usual....I just returned from Puerto and Nuevo Vallarta, via car.....no problems and other than a few more military checkpoints no issues or changes.

8. Re: The OFFICIAL Travel Advisory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:26 am, October 22, 2009