We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
How safe is Puerto Vallarta

We are looking at bringing about 25 seniors and parents to Puerto Vallarta and staying at the Villa de Palmar...........Anybody have any ideas on how safe that is these days? We are coming March 13th. How far is this resort from town and would the kids be safe goingg into town

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

Here are some posts about the subject

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k23575…

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

More

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k25831…

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,846 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta is SAFE. Your resort is safe. Downtown is safe.

People are all freaking out because of the media, but it has nothing to do with PV.

Use common sense as a tourist, don't flash money, get drunk, do stupid things. Everyone will be fine.

I worry more about sunburn or hangover in PV than any issues of personal safety.

I have been on vacation in Vallarta 19 times to date, often as a solo female, and have NEVER had any issues. None.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

can't we just make a STICKY thread regarding this topic? Do we need the same question asked a million times on this board?

sorry, just venting a little... :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,846 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

Bonesaw~ This is a new poster of the forum with their first question. Let's be a little more welcoming, please. Because the U.S. MEDIA is making such a big deal about this, I think it is only fair that we patiently answer each and every person's concerns. kindly, Suze

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

Bonesaw is just suffering from frostbite and lack of sun. I can relate. Mind you there is a big ball of fire in the sky today. WHat the hell is that?

I hear that from my friends as well about the saftey of Mexico. C'mon guys, Mexico is a huge country. Sure some areas are unsafe, just like every other country on the planet including our own.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

When I first saw the beginning of this post, I thought you were referring to "Senior citizens" and their parents; took me a few seconds to realize that you were talking about either high school or college students. LOL!

Just use common sense; I live part of the time in Naperville, IL which is considered one of the top 5 most desirable places in the U.S. in which to live. I don't walk around by myself after dark there or anywhere else, including the PV area.

When you say "safe", I think you really need to be careful when negotiating the cobblestone streets. I fell a few years ago and had to be brought to the local clinic. Wasn't drinking, but did a real nose-dive. No broken bones or teeth, just lots of scrapes and bruises. (I know this kind of safety is not what you were referring to, but it's just my 2 cents.)

TX
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

I understand WHY the question is repeatedly asked (not just here, but in other TA Mexico forums), as what's being broadcast on the news here is ambiguous at best, but I too think it might help to have a sticky on this topic -- maybe giving a link to the official travel advisory that shows precisely where the danger is alleged to be.

Farmer is right on ... Mexico is a BIG country, and these travel "advisories" need to be much less vague than they are. (I heard on my local news channel a very brief blurb this morning, only stating that people were being urged not to go to Mexico on spring break. Sheesh. Talk about incomplete reporting.)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

I was at PV about a year ago. I stayed in old town PV with my husband, 4 year old and 15 year old niece. We never felt unsafe in Mexico. This is our 2nd trip to Mexico. One night, I even went to the Malecon by myself. It was probably 10 or 11pm. I never was afraid for my safety. There were officers that patrolled the Malecon, there were lots of families and individuals walking the Malecon late at night.

Now Northern Mexico is probably a place I wouldn't venture to.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,927 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is Puerto Vallarta

For the original poster:

Your resort is right in town. It's in the hotel zone. See map:

http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html

If your "seniors" (I take this to mean seniors in high school) are intending to partake of spring break-ish activities, then they would likely be heading down to the Malecon to the clubs.

Is it safe? It's as safe as you make it. In other words as noted, don't flash a lot of money (just like home), don't flash a lot of expensive jewelry (just like home), don't get so intoxicated you don't know how to get where you need to go (just like home)...see a pattern here? Go and enjoy this beautiful city, as I'm sure you will, but don't forget to pack and then UNpack your common sense and use it when you get there.

If you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it there.

Sensationalist and irresponsible media offerings lately (yep, I've read/seen a bunch too) don't do much to clarify just WHERE the problems are, which is why I understand the influx of questions. However, reading the actual travel warnings is a big assistance as it tells you in better detail that the problems the mainstream media is blowing out of proportion are happening mostly in border towns, and the majority of the issue involves drug cartels and the police/government crackdowns on them.