We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Emily?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
12 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Emily?

Do you think it cause any problems next week in PV? We are going to be there from Tuesday until the next Monday.

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Emily?

Hurricane Emily is a Caribbean storm which is heading for the Gulf of Mexico. PV is on the opposite coast and is sometimes affected by storms coming out of the Pacific. Cancun is more likely to be affected by Emily.

New York
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Emily?

I have been following the storm, and have seen the path. I know the eye of the storm isn't even close to PV, but I was wondering if the locals have heard of any 'extra' rain associated with Emily.

When I look at the weather forcast, it says 60% chance of rain everyday next week... Given it is the rainy season, daily rain is to be expected, but it looks like it is supposed to rain all day everyday. (Isn't hat a bit more than normal!) Thanks!

Juli

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
846 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Emily?

JuliAnn,

The weather forecasts are always like that in the summer months, but you will find in general that you will have MOSTLY sunny days, usually clouds up in the late afternoon and will rain for a couple of hours in the late afternoon, evening, or at night while you are sleeping - it's not a 60 percent chance of rain all day long. Has rarely rained during the day when we go and we have always taken our trips during the rainy season so it will be less crowded :)

Enjoy your trip, and I hope you get to see and experience one of the great PV electrical storms! They are absolutely wonderful.....

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Emily?

It would have to be a really huge storm in the Caribbean to effect us, we are more than 1,000 miles away.

Mexico is a very big country.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Emily?

Forgot to mention, there's also a huge mountain range, Sierra Madre, between the two Oceans, as well.

Would be like a storm in Texas affecting California :)

New York
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Emily?

Thanks JR, was kind of a ridiculous question... Wasn't thinking very much before I posted! I just keep getting these phone calls from my mother-in-law asking if the hurricane was going to ruin our vacation, and I got caught up in her dramatics!

Juli

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Emily?

grin :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,344 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Emily?

I see there's lots of good response. Just, I've driven from Puerto Vallarta to Brownsville, Texas. It took two days and we had to go through two very high mountain ranges. Any storm doesn't have a chance of reaching the West Coast without being very very tired indeed. It's a long, hard trip. :)

New York
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Emily?

Didn't even think about those Mountains! Thanks!

Juli

texas
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Emily?

We are supposed to be traveling to PV from 7/18-7/25. We bought travel insurance and some of our friends and family are encouraging us to use it and change the date of our trip due to the hurricane. (And I know it's on the complete other side of Mexico) The information I've read in the other posts sounds like there won't be much more rain than is normal for the rainy season. Right? So, what would you do if you were me? Thanks for your insight. :)