We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birding tours in vallarta?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cambridge
Level Contributor
34 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
birding tours in vallarta?

am going to a conference in PV in October. Would like to take a birding tour or two but there are a lot of companies. Does anyone have any experience with birding tours in PV? Would like one with trained guides and serious birders.

noca04@yahoo.com

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

You can find one of the most comprehensive trip reports ever writtem if you google birding the americas under Jalisco and Nayarit. The author Blake Maybank is a reknowned author and focuses in this specific review on both maps and species and has written articles on birdwatching worldwide as well as the immeadiate areas surrounding the Banderas Bay region and other marine and mountain trips.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

I would recommend Eco Tours - www.ecotoursvallarta.com/bird_watching.php

Cambridge
Level Contributor
34 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

thanks! a fellow in puerto escondido just recommended ecotours, too, and he is a bird guide.

Sonoma County...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

In February 2009, I found a personal guide, GERARDO HERNANDEZ VAZQUEZ, to take my brother and I out for a half day of more serious briding than I had xperienced the year before with EcoTours. (See, below, for my comments on that tour.)

With only the two of us, Gerardo's current group rate of $250 for a party of up to three cost me a little more than double what I paid for on the EcoTours excursion. But, it was more than worth it. If you are interested in doing some serious rather than casual birding, with a kind, personable, knowledgeable guide who has genuine appreciation for the local birds and their environs, I highly recommend Gerardo.

Even after having gone out the year before, I added 20 life birds to my list, including the citroline trogon, cinnamon hummingbird, blue mockingbird, pale-billed and golden-cheeked woodpeckers, golden vireo, and military macaws. We saw 53 + birds in our half day tour.

Gerardo was good about communicating with me by email and picked us up at our hotel right on time.

If you are serious about birind and want to maximize your experience you can't go wrong going with Gerard. Check out his website at this address:

http://www.naturevallarta.com/bird.htm

As for EcoTours, I went out with them in February, 2008 and it was accpetable but not exceptional. I defintely got the feeling that for our guide it was "been there, done that" all too many times. For me, it felt like he was going through the motions and was not terribly interested in seeing that everyone got good looks at the birds or that we saw as many birds as we could hope to see.

EcoTours is more of an excursion for tourists than a serious birding experience. For the $62 or so cost, it was worth it to get out to the locations and we did see some cool birds, but all in all I felt like there was much that was missed. I came away more frustrated at what was not seen than exhilirated at what was seen. With Gerardo, the experience was just the opposite.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

Rancho Primavera in El Tuito has excellent birding tours with overnight accomodations if you desire to do a more extensive tour.

6. Re: birding tours in vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 18, 2009