We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marietta Island- Questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marietta Island- Questions?

We have heard of this island but have had a hard time finding out specifics.

How do you get there? Water taxi? From where? How much?

Can you camp on the island?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

Vallarta Adventures dose a trip out to it- I think some others do too. As far as I know there is no camping- there are a few small beaches and snorkeling- most of the island is a big rocky out cropping with a lot of birds. We did the trip with VA and had fun.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

realtravel.com/puerto_vallarta-reviews-a5538…

sailing-vallarta.com/sailing-yelapa-islands.…

sailing-vallarta.com/sailing-yelapa-islands.…

try these for some info

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

The Mariettas Islands are a National Park and there is no camping allowed. Some years ago campers set the place on fire. It is a bird sanctuary and all kinds of birds can be observed, including the Blue Footed Booby. Water Taxi's do not go out there, you need to make a reservation with a company like Vallarta Adventures, it is an all day trip to go out snorkel have lunch then return. Not sure of the cost.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

In fact you can not land on the island without a permit, which, I believe, gives you a wrist band. Any tour operators doing so without this are breaking the law.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,235 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

Here's some pics of the Marietas from our trip last year (see below). They are posted on the "Things to Do" section of the Punta Mita Forum.

A guide boat with a permit is allowed to let people sit on the various sandy areas on the Islands but I believe they have to stay with you to supervise (as per their permit). No one is permitted to set foot elsewhere on anywhere else except on the sand part (eg., the rocks). You can also snorkel.

A small panga such as runs out of the Cooperativo de Corral de Risco out of Punta Mita can negotiate around the Islands (see pictures) so it's a thoroughly enjoyable trip. Their rates vary but a trip to the Marietas (app 2.5 hours) is app. $120 dollars or 1200 pesos. Of course they have the necessary permits.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g499443-s4/Punta-De-M…

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

You need to book a trip, cost around $70 for adult and $ 45 for kids.

I went there with Pegaso Chartering-www.pegasochartering.com , with sail boat, the trip was amazing, and the crew - the very best!!!

I will post some videos on You Tube soon, look for title Mareitta Island.

This is the best trip ever I got in PV.

Don't waist your time and money for anything else, see the Island.

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

The most inexpensive and perhaps the best way to see the Mariettas is with the Cooperativo out of El Anclote (Punta Mita). You can take the bus to Punta Mita, get off at the end of the line and walk a short distance to the Cooperativo. Tours are in pangas ( samll baots) and the cost is low. They also offer fishing, beginner surfing and in the right season whale watching. Their web site is:

http://puntamitacharters.com/en/home.html

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

Uh, hate to point it out but this post is over a year old.

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
879 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

Yes, this thread was resurrected by a poster.

But it is still worth pointing out that the Cooperativo, which is relatively non-commercial and is run by native Mexicans, provides a great tour (which I have taken) at a much lower price. That is in part becuase they don't have to cruise out all the way from Puerto Vallrta, but only from El Anclote beach at Punta Mita, a much closer place.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marietta Island- Questions?

But you've got to get to El Anclote beach !