We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping in Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tipping in Puerto Vallarta

I will be going to canto del sol and was just wondering what kind of currency do people usually tip. Peso or American dollars??

Thanks and can't wait

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
854 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

Hello, Fireboy771

We USED to tip all in US $1 bills because we had always heard they were preferred, used them for taxi fare also. However, through this forum we have heard that it is much better to tip in pesos so that the workers you are trying to thank don't have to wait in line to change them out to currency they can actually spend.

So, most of the singles we had been saving up this year for our trip will be deposited in the bank and we will withdraw pesos at the airport ATM. We will take some singles just in case we don't have an appropriate amount of pesos for tipping.

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful trip :)

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

We just got back from Canto del Sol. We had $100 in USD and used that to tip the maid every day and the waiters at the pool/beach. Then as we exchanged money, we used pesos like eating at restaurants at the Malecon, etc. When talking to people, most said they did not care if it was pesos or USD, it all was money.

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

Will be going to canto del sol july 30th, could you let us know how it went.

I can hardly wait, have read some great reviews.

THX

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

Email me at loridesmond@comcast.net and I will give you all the details!

Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

I just returned Friday from a week at the Canto Del Sol. The hotel staff does not seem to have a preference, they are just all grateful to be getting a tip. The hotel was wonderful and the staff always seemed to be smiling and having a good time. The only time I was not able to get USD back is in the taxi's and at the dolphin center. Otherwise I was asked which I preferred almost everytime I purchased something.

Have a great time, and relax the whole country is very very user friendly-even if you do not speak Spanish!!

canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

thanks for all the replies guys!! This place sounds like it will be fun.

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

fireboy771 when are you going?? Where in Canada are you?

As for tipping, just purchase peso's with Canadian dollars, no sense in having to loose out twice on exchanging money.

Also you can use your bank card at an atm and receive pesos.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

Ok, I will give you the scoop from a locals point of view and from my Mexican staff.

We prefer pesos.

Just like you get a bad rate of exchange for using dollars in stores, cabs, etc. so do we.

Our work week is 6 days a week, usually with Sundays off. If we have dollars, we have to go exchange them for pesos, thus wasting our day off, or we are forced to use them because we do not have pesos.

So, why hassle with bringing dollars for tipping?

Of course, any tip is very much appreciated but in the end, do as the romans do and use the countries currency. It will save you $ in the end!

canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

I am going in January, I know it is a long way off but I love to research the places that I have chosen as vacation spots. I think I will just bring some pesos and put the rest in my bank so I can just use my bank card.

What is it that you do in PV bzy1? How do you like living there?

Sounds like paradise for me. Maybe I could switch my job to down there. Can you help me??? LOL!!!!

Thanks again, keep the info coming.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping in Puerto Vallarta

Hi Fireboy,

I love living here, wouldn't trade it for anything! Sure, life is different, but a good different. I have been here almost three years and it seems like yesterday since I moved here and it feels like I have been here forever.

I worked for the first year+ as the Editor in Chief of Vallarta Online and can attest to their professionalism all around, they are also a part of PVNET one our PV internet providers and they are the big net cafe across from the Sheraton.

Now I manage a small boutique type hotel which I try not to mention too often because leading people to a biz or owned website on here is pretty much against TA policy. On here I just try to help make people's vacations better in hopes they return as tourism is our bread and butter. Plus I travel and use this site to make my travel decisions based on a local perspective. I was just in Vegas and was addicted to the Vegas forum and gleened a lot of helpful info from the site....so I guess I am just passing it on:)

If you ever do decide to move here, come at few times before you move. And try to come at the worst of times (summer and Semana Santa) to see if you can handle the heat and humidity and wall to wall people:)

It took me 13 trips until I moved to make the decision to "Just Do It" and I did and I am so happy I finally moved...this is home now.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta