We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea snakes or snake eels

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
sea snakes or snake eels

I heard a lot of concern over snakes in the water before I went to PV. WE went snorkelling off the beach (my wife and I) and saw what at the time we thought was a sea snake. Partially because it looked and moved very much like a snake but probably also because we read the reviews. After developing the pictures I tried to identify the snake but I could only match it up as a "spotted snake eel" , "Pacific snake eel" or a "tiger snake eel".

I couldn't find too many spotted sea snakes (although I'm sure they do exist).

Also worth stating in my web search, yes a sea snake can bite you (apparently the small mouth thing is a myth) , however they aren't likely to do so unless provoked (ie hands off and you'll be ok)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea snakes or snake eels

"yes a sea snake can bite you (apparently the small mouth thing is a myth) , however they aren't likely to do so unless provoked (ie hands off and you'll be ok)"

Sorry dead Wrong! do a good search. The sea snake, that occasionally can be seen here, has a very small mouth, can not open it very wide and the fangs point backwards.

If you were to hold it and guide it to the web between your thumb and finger, it may be able to bite you, otherwise NFW.

San Pancho, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea snakes or snake eels

I've never heard of anyone getting bitten by anything but mosquitos down here - Obviously -- caution is a good thing but snakes int he water is probably the last thing on my list of things to worry about this year. The tequila has a pretty severe bite, though.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta