We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport ATM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport ATM

Will be arriving on thursday in PVR. would like to exchange some money at the airport to get a few pesos. Can anyone tell me the approximate exchange rate at the airport? Is it not a good place to get some pesos? Otherwise we would have to wait until we get to our hotel - and I would like to have some pesos in hand...

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport ATM

Don't know how it is this winter but last year at this time it was a great place to exchange dollars. Even if it is not the very best rate, exchange some so you have some pesos. The difference in rates is usually pretty small and not worth chasing very far.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport ATM

hola, blarneymo! I too will be arriving this thursday and always hit the atm at the airport before heading to the hotel (there is a cambio at the airport as well, but it's ALOT faster to use the atm) From past experience, the hotel is NOT the best place to exchange if you want a decent rate...Have fun!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport ATM

I just pay for my airport taxi with USD, and wait until I've checked into my hotel, then go back out right away and exchange at a cambio or use an ATM, have a cold drink somewhere, do some errands and shopping to get settled in..

I like to get out of the airport *ASAP* and there's really no reason you need peso immediately.

Depends on your hotel, some front desk do match daily rates of the casa de cambios, it's not always a bad deal. Also some are nice about breaking large peso notes from the ATM into smaller (more useful) denominations.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
968 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport ATM

what is a cambrio?

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport ATM

casa de cambio (house of change)

These are booths or windows along the sidewalk throughout the downtown area where you change foreign currency into peso. Daily rates are posted.

chicago
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport ATM

which is better to exchange money - banks or cambrios? are there are a lot in the Marina area?

7. Re: Airport ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 20, 2009