We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

I have read that Sunday evenings were a lot of fun walking the Malecon. There are lots of things to see, eat and shop, and music as well as the Papantia Flyers performing. Is Sunday evening that much better than other evenings there? A group of us were considering sailing on the Marigalante cruise on Sunday. Should we reconsider for another night?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

There is only the one Sunday on the Malecon each week and that boat thing goes every day. I would recommend switching. Sunday on the Malecon is a cultural experience!!

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

We will not be in PV on a Sunday, but want to take our kids to experience the Malecon. Is there a second-best night to go? If it makes a difference, we will be there in February.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

I would say Saturday is the closest second.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

I will do my best to explain about Sunday's on the malecon. As many people already know, but for those that don't, Sunday is typically the day Mexican's set aside for their families (times are changing though).

Therefore, there are even more things to see, food to eat, goodies to buy on weekends on the malecon, especially Sundays. Yes, some things are geared towards tourists, but you will find that on Sunday, the malecon is PV's backyard. Lots of families, children playing, entertainers earning some pesoes, families selling souvineers, and all kinds of happenings. Many of the Mexican families on the malecon are locals, but many are Mexican families vacationing or on day trips to PV. In other words, it's the real thing, not just another tourist attraction.

PV has the malecon on Sunday, Guadalajara has the plazas on Sunday.

PV - a city with the feel of a town.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

I would suggest the Sunday night on the malecon. There is nothing like it. This is a great way to experience Mexican culture. It is so wonderful to see families with children or babies, young people on dates, older couples walking hand in hand, the flying men, dancers, food vendors, dancing people to a live band in the plaza, art, juices, crepes, balloons, clowns, entertainers..... You will be amazed. It is a sight and experience not to miss. Go for it and do the Pirate Ship another night if you can. I don't think that you will regret it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

Texasfriends (hey, I work in Plano!), I'll follow up my new friend Dana and say reschedule the "boat" as John so eloquently put it (Hi John! You and Jean going to be in PV again this Nov?) if possible and use your Sunday to spend on the malecon. I doubt there is a better "local" gathering to go to in PV. Everyone before me has listed the reasons why...I'm just here to 2nd and 3rd and 4th...ok, I lost count...them to add that it's one of my favorite things to do. And go hungry! There are SO many good things to eat from the stands down there (and don't be afraid to eat from them). And lots of stands with fun jewelry and souvenirs, original artwork...watercolors, paintings, tile-paintings, etc...and always some kind of entertainment at the amphitheater in front of the arches. This last fall, I stopped to watch the clown performing, just in time to become "part" of his skit. Glad I can laugh at myself.

While Fri or Sat nights have things going on, a Sunday night on the malecon is something everyone who wants to enjoy some local culture should experience.

calgary
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

Kind of a weird question or maybe it's a comment. I realize that Tourism is probably one of the City of Puerto Vallarta's main source of income, but I always wonder....Do the people of Puerto Vallarta ever get sick and tired of tourist hanging atound in their back yard (so to speak) all the time. I wonder if they wish that Sunday Night is their very own night? And the Tourists could only take over their town Monday to Saturday. What do you all think? Just a thought or a question...

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

Personally, I believe tourists are just an everyday fact of life in PV. I seriously doubt if anyone younger than 30 remembers it being different. I'm sure many Mexicans even come to the malecon to people watch the loco gringos.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

Sunday Evening on the Malecón, the locals vastly outnumber the tourists, the dance bars across the street are another matter.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday Evening on the Malecon---Fun?

Canadianfavorite~ The locals I've gotten to know and asked your questions... people said they felt tourism was a good thing, made jobs, supported the Vallarta economy, that kind of positive attitude towards it.