We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

I accidently found out my cell phone worked in Puerto Vallarta. I use Tracfone, because it only costs me $8.00 a month. It cost me nothing to call and receive calls in PV. No long distance, no roaming, no international rates. I buy minutes for about $.10 each (included in $8.00).

Since, today, you can buy a phone from Wal-Mart for $12.88, which includes a "double minutes for life"

plan, you buy the phone, purchase a card for half the minutes you expect to need, and have a phone for the time in Mexico, and you can keep it as an emergency phone for $5.00 a month (or $10 with 50 minutes added each month) The minutes never expire if you keep the phone active.

There is no cheaper way to have a phone. If this special is gone, they always have something similar.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,983 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

That's great. I just wondered when you used your phone. Because I once didn't get charged for long-distance on my Canadian Cell until several months later when the Mexican providers caught up with the use.

Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

The Tracfone service is only prepaid. You never get charged after the fact. They buy chuncks of time from other companies and do not maintain their own cells. You actually are using Verizon, or someone else when you use Tracfone.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

Weird. I have a Tracfone from Walmart that I used in the States. I tried it down here in PV and I could not get any calls to go through. This was in September- maybe things have changed?

Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

I used my Tracfone in late October and early November. I had no problems.

Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

This is the way I dialed (like a Verizon phone)

Long distance within Mexico:

01 + city code + 7 digit number

Calling US or Canada:

001 + area code + 7 digit number

Calling a local cell phone:

044 + city code + 7 digit number

Calling a local land line:

011 + 52 + city code + 7 digit number

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
6. Re: Cheap Cell Phone Rates for Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 27, 2009