We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Love PV and would move there, But my background is in sales, I see the timeshare sales when i go down, but do they really make any money? I hate the rep they get, Kinda like car sales here, But I am a closer, should I stick it out here or give PV a try, p.s. Have two rental properties here riding on it plus my own home? Dunno. Single no attachments and rental firms managing my places.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

p.s single and no dependants, gonna be in PV again May 14-21

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Yep. My step-dad worked for the Mayan Palace in PV for almost three years (just recently moved on to something else). If you are good, you can make more than a decent living at it.....Don't let what other people say about the job get you down. Try it out for yourself. With a background in sales, from what I hear you can basically walk into a job in TS.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

ok this is a PV forum and nobodys ever sold ts?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Nope, but I have tons of friends that do.

It is tough and unless you speak Spanish you have basically four good months of high tourist flow to make money. (Dec. Jan. Feb. and March.)

Also, no pay unless you sell. Don't sell; your efficency goes down so when you do sell you get the minimal amount. You are always chasing the sale unless you can keep on top.

In reality it is the one job here that most anyone can get, but the turn over is outrageous and it is stressful. If you can cut it, you can do OK but only a few people really make the big cash, the rest just pretend they do:)

San Pancho, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Good luck! The warnings about TS sales people are more frequent than the cautions not to drink the water. Its a shame that people trying to just make a living get a bad rep but unfortunately their employers set up a very stressful on the job situation for the sales people and it really is sink or swim. I don't know a single person who had a pleasant experience while attending one of the presentations. They always promise 90 minutes total and I've had people tell me they were berated, intimidated and made to feel really bad by the high pressure sales.

I tell my friends to stay clear unless they really think they want to buy a timeshare.

Who knows -- maybe you'll be one to bring some good reputation to the trade?: I know the Mayan Palace is hiring -- a friend just took a job there. They also help you get your working FM3 -- immigration papers.

And, Spanish will be important because you have to work with your partners on the street who are dragging in the people.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

I would suggest working for one of the companies like RCI if you are looking into it. Don't know about PV, but there are a lot of folks in sales w/RCI that have been working at Solmar and Playa Grande in Cabo, that have been there for several years, and do very well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Spanish is not that important. Usually they want someone who speaks fluent english. Trust me on this one....my dad's spanish is NOT that good! lol

puerto vallarta...
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

To make money in Timeshare, you will need to be on the "inside" (liner-closer) not on the street (OPC). Most reputable would be Westin, Paradise Village (they sell like crazy), Villa de Palmar and Los Tules. Spanish isn't really necessary but of course helpful (and as well, if you are going to live here, best to learn Spanish!). I know alot of timeshare people that make VERY good money, especially in the winter months (high season). There really are some very reputable timeshare salespeople -unfortunately most of the guys on the street give them all a bad rep. Good luck!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

It does help to have Spanish because in the slow months when there are plenty of Spanish speakers from Mexico that go to the TS presentations.

If it is your up and the client speaks Spanish, you miss your up and it goes to the next person working who speaks Spanish.

Again, it is not necessary but it makes a difference in the end....way more chances to sell.

Oakville
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshare sales, Anybody tried it as a living?

Just to correct, FM-3 is "rentista"--for those of us who promise not to seek employment. FM-2 is Immigrado, if we wish to work. You can change from one to the other.

I'm sorry to be provocative, but I think that the time-share concept is questionable because I don't think you really own. (Owning means being able to go there when you want or sell when you want, etc.) Selling cars can be a noble profession. It may indeed have a bad rep, but you're selling something solid that people really own. Cars, trucks, whatever. I think being a car salesperson is great.

Have you thought about a career in Real Estate in Mexico? If you're a "closer", there will be room for you. The whole Pacific Coast is going to be opening up in the next ten to fifteen years because Fonatur (the Mexican tourist development agency) is becoming very active with a three-phase scheme. Google "Higuere Blanca, La Penita, El Capomo, Fonatur" It's exciting times. Forget timeshare.

Car sales need not be questionable.