We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

We are thinking of our first trip to Puerto Vallarta during Christmas time, for about a week. We need some help to decide where to stay. We are a family of three with a 4 years old girl. Probably won't do All Inclusive. Instead we'd like to explore and find local restaurants to try. It would be great if the breakfast is included but that is not a must. So my questions are:

1. Is the weather warm enough to be in the water? The answer would help us decide if a nice beach is a must for the chosen hotel. My friend mentioned that it was too cold to get in the water during that time of the year when they went. It kind of hesitate me - isn't it supposed to be a beach vacation?

2. Old town, Neuvo Vallarta, South Shore hotel area, Conchas Chinas, Las Glorias

With some search and read, it seems that most of the activities and to-do's are in old town area. So if we stay in Hotel Zone, we will have to take buses. Online booking usually shows lodgings located in above different areas, which baffled me. How would it be like staying in each area, transportation, eating, activities wise? If someone can kindly share pros and cons of each option that'll be great. Better yet, we can also use some hotel recommendations. We'd like to stay somewhere with easy access to the activities. Looking at Paradise Village Beach Resort and Spa OR Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa OR if it runs too high, maybe some boutique hotels in town.

3. Suggestions for what to do in PV

It would be the first time for us in PV. Any suggestions for a week long family vacation with 4 years old kid would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, should we consider an excursion trip?

16 replies to this topic
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
354 reviews
1. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

The water will be cooler, but you'll see plenty of people enjoying the ocean. Air temos are warm and there are pools everywhere if its too chilly for you or the surf is up.

The two properties you mentioned are big resorts. Paradise is in Nuevo which is quite a distance from town (at least an hour). Its not really in a walkable area to lots of restaurants. Better is the Marriott in the Marina, still a half hour from town, although there's plenty of restaurants around.

For someone looking to experience PV, i would suggest the Hotel Zone, or the in-town north Centro, and Zona Romantico.

Since you mention budget, know that this is a high demand time. You need to get going....availability for affordability may be scarce

Lots to do in PV, both athletic and culturally, and it has plenty of family-friendly activies.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
2. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

Thanks for your help. When you said an hour or half an hour distance do you mean by car or bus?

Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

By car. Nuevo Vallarta is the State of Nayarit which is north of PV proper and is a very pricey cab ride.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,701 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

If you look at the maps at www.vallartainfo.com maybe you can get a better idea how things lay out in the various areas of Puerto Vallarta.

You are correctly describing the different places, and people like and stay in all of them. So that doesn't really help us narrow things down either.

Not all 'boutique hotels' allow children, so another consideration.

Mostly and assuming you mean Christmas 2018, I would start by using an overall website like booking dot com, put in your dates, and try to see what places are available. The holidays are a very popular time, things get booked up, and also the prices can be almost double those couple weeks.

For a family, I always think a condo stay is something to think about instead of going the traditional resort or hotel route.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

It's very late to be looking for lodging around Christmas. So, your options may be limited to what's available - likely not much. If you're not interested in all-inclusive which is understandable because of all the great dining options in PV - I'd cross Nuevo off the list and focus on being in town where there are so many dining options either in walking distance or a short taxi or bus ride. The Marriott you mention is an especially nice property in walking distance to the Marina (nice area for restaurants, bars, shopping). You could look at Velas Vallarta - also in that area and kid friendly. Here is a link to some maps that might help you understand the lay of the land a bit and also shows a number of the properties you could consider (I'll start you out in the Marina and then you just click at the bottom of each screen to move South). Good luck and remember tic-toc - times is growing short.

Hmm - the website is vallartainfo.com but I can't get it to come up this morning (first time that's happened) - not sure if it's me or the website. If you can get it to come up click on "maps" their listed by area of town - you should be looking at Marina, Hotel Zone, North Downtown, Centro, Southside, and Conchas Chinas.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,701 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

www.vallartainfo.com is working for me :)

Edited: 10:54 am, October 19, 2018
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

Re: Post #3 - Kathy, the posted taxi fare at Paradise Village to the Malecon was $220 pesos as of April 2018. That seems very reasonable, not 'very pricey'.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
170 reviews
8. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

uh-oh. I just get a blank screen. Maybe I'll try to just re-boot and see if that helps. My iMac is fairly immune from viruses plus I run Avast that catches a lot of bad actors but it seems like there are more virus/hackers out there every day.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,174 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

FredT - he's just launched a refreshed version of the website so I would recommend deleting any bookmarks and resubmitting.

For the OP: I have to agree with the poster who recommended getting on one (or a few) of the large booking websites and start doing a search ASAP. Christmas is the busiest time of year other than Easter and people book their accommodations months and months in advance to get the choices they want. What you're likely to be seeing is what's left of inventory. I'd also note that anything that falls into a reasonably priced category the rest of the year is not necessarily priced that way for Christmas due to supply and demand.

Marriott is a lovely hotel. I'd also toss in having a look at Velas Vallarta as it's good for families and comfortable for both adults and children. I think because you've never been to PV before, having an all inclusive accommodation as your home base with the ability to venture out is probably your best option. Lots of places to dine in the marina (where both of these hotels are located), and plenty more a short taxi or bus ride away.

Use the website given to see maps, and get a general sense of the PV area. Your questions about things to do/eat/etc are quite broad right now and there's a huge amount of geography to cover in Banderas Bay so it's a lot easier to give suggestions once you have your accommodations squared away - that should be priority #1 right now, not tours or excursions or things to do. You can deal with that once you know you have somewhere to sleep. LOL

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's

the choices are getting thinned out but if you can't find anything to your liking on TA, do not despair .... just a couple days ago someone came onto the Facebook forum "Puerto Vallarta: Everything You Need Or Want To Know" and posted a nice condo for a reasonable price in the Old town .... there is a selection of places to choose from and you can always post a question to the public for help .... this coming winter we have booked through "airbnb.ca" ..... I checked a few weeks ago for a friend and there were still some choices to be made but the selection is getting thinned out .... most people coming for the first time are directed to the Old Town or the Downtown area as this seems to be the heart of PV but by no means is this the only place to stay .... if you find a nice spot near the Marina or in the Hotel Zone then grab it ... the Old town is only a cheap bus ride away (or taxi) .... I could go on and on about day trips .. south of PV, by bus - by boat ... north of Nuevo Vallarta are some lovely spots to choose from ... good luck and have a safe holiday

Edited: 12:50 pm, October 19, 2018
Reply to: Chrismas in Puerto Vallarta - lodging and todo's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted