We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atms 10/16/2018

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
37 reviews
atms 10/16/2018

Just copied from a FB feed ... a heads up as follows::

Heads up! My bank account was cleaned out after withdrawing money from the atm furthest north on Olas Altas Banorte. Check your accounts.

::

There are ways to detect skimmers and it doesn't look like this problem will go away, so go check out ways to protect your savings ...

We had the bank notify us (by e-mail) each time a withdrawl was made when we were last in Mexico .... I believe there was a small fee attached but we thought that this was good insurance ...

21 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: atms 10/16/2018

I would want to know more details. Was that the only place they ever used their card? Only that one time? Only at that one ATM machine? No where else either at home before their trip or around PV for other shopping?

Edited: 4:17 pm, October 16, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,951 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: atms 10/16/2018

I've used those Banorte ATMs literally hundreds of times without a problem (other than the fact that they can run out of cash on busy weekends). I, perhaps, have been lulled into a feeling of safety because it would be very difficult for anyone to observe you input your PIN the way they are configured as individual booths. Having said that it can happen anywhere I suppose. I have an account tied to a debit card that can only be used at an ATM. I move the amount of money I intend to take out into that account on-line - go take it out of the ATM and don't keep any money in the account otherwise until I'm ready to do it all over again. So far - so good.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,152 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: atms 10/16/2018

It's been many, many years but those ATMs due to high traffic volume do fall victim to skimmers from time to time. BECAUSE of the high traffic, it's a good target.

If I have to use them I always check the mechanics before inserting my card. Give all the pieces a good tug or wiggle. (this is also why we recommend monitoring your account regularly on holidays!!)

Before the ATM naysayers come on here (because the tech haters are always around LOL), this can happen anywhere as already stated. My card got hit a block from my home at a grocery store and a Starbucks. It's a global issue and people need to understand that and take precautions of their own - personal responsibility. The banks will make you whole for your losses but it's really easy to set up a travel account to save yourself this kind of headache. Mine took me about 5 minutes online, it's not tied to any other accounts, has no overdraft on it, and I transfer money into it right before I go to an ATM to withdraw using an app on my phone (or a tablet, laptop or netbook if I'm so inclined).

Edited: 6:45 pm, October 16, 2018
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: atms 10/16/2018

I like to use the banks up in Centro instead of near the beach/tourist area. I've never had trouble at either Santander or Scotia machines there (or heard of any issues at either of these). Plus the banks are nice about breaking larger bills after you use the ATM is you go inside to a teller.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,152 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: atms 10/16/2018

Another good tip for people to remember - there are often ATM booths that require you to "swipe" a card to enter. Don't use your bank card, these are often less secure than an ATM.

Those scanners only require a black bar strip across the back of a card, so use something like a shopping rewards card - nothing that ties to a bank account or credit card account. Even a Starbucks gift card will work in some machines (-; For years I've kept and used an old Safeway Rewards card tied to a dead cellphone and closed email account...still works! LOL

Edited: 6:50 pm, October 16, 2018
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: atms 10/16/2018

To the reply from Suze (#1), there is quite a bit of chatter on the FB page about this, 30 + comments ... The OP is positive about the location and time .. and the horror stories just keep coming, not just about this one location ... not a new problem it seems .... there are just as many people going on at how they have not experienced any problems .... we have used the Scotia Bank ATMs for the last couple of visits to Mexico .... My partner has an account with Scotia here at home so for us it's an easy choice .... with safeguards in place to detect unauthorized withdrawls we're fairly confident in the process

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: atms 10/16/2018

I know all that (FB chatter and ATM horror stories are hardly new news -haha).

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,859 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: atms 10/16/2018

The comments are up to 51 with a lot of questions as to exact location.

No one has asked if the card was used anywhere else but a lot have shared their horror stories about other banks. It's a possibility anywhere.

The concensus seems to be to sign up for alerts everytime you use your ATM. The person this happened to there were 13 small transactions before it was totally drained. One alert would have stopped it.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
9. Re: atms 10/16/2018

We receive alerts every time we use our Scotia debit travel account at an ATM, it's the only debit card we carry when traveling. PVjenny I remember when Brenda posted this info about using "anything but" your ATM card to access an ATM machine inside of a bank, totally agree with that and we also use an old Safeway card for access wherever we go. Miss the little lady.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: atms 10/16/2018

ok that's twice the safeway card has come up ... a trick I don't know about ... Do you load a safeway card up with money before your trip?

Reply to: atms 10/16/2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted