We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

puerto vallarta next year

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
puerto vallarta next year

Hi all, my wife and I are considering PV next year. We have gone to DR for the past two and to Cuba before that.

I am looking for all info as I am starting my research. Good bad and all in between. Which hotels are recommended and not recommended. We are thinking about staying at the Holiday Inn.

Thank you everyone, I hope I have not post too broad of a topic.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: puerto vallarta next year

A tiny bit 'broad', look at

http://vallartainfo.com first and, I for one, will be glad to answer more specific questions.

Holiday Inn gets pretty good reviews, especially the food. They where just given some sort of award for hygiene.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: puerto vallarta next year

we stayed at Las Palmas and we scared by the reviews but we found it just wonderful for the price and we completely happy with it. Holiday Inn looked huge with lots of people around and has a two day rock concert going on at the time we were there. our resort only had 220 rooms with two pools one adults only and never ran out of chairs. Holiday Inn is much bigger with much larger beach area though. Read the reviews about all the hotels on this site.

San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: puerto vallarta next year

My Favorite hotels are:

1) El Presidente hotel

2) Dreams. (All Inclusive)

They are both on the south side, away from the hotel zone, and are still close to town. They are small (in comparison) but the both have private beaches, character, and an amazing atmoshere. I've gone to PV many times and after staying on the south side I would never consider staying anywhere else.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: puerto vallarta next year

I agree with the Presidente. Good Hotel, great rooms. Used to have an AI option, not sure if it does anymore? I definately agree with the previous statement about staying away from the hotel zone. It has nice hotels, but staying either in the romantic zone or south is so much better. You feel like you are actually seeing the city, not just the touristy areas.

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: puerto vallarta next year

I stayed at the Holiday in last year and thought it was a good hotel for the money. The pool area is really nice and they have an expansive beach area. A taxi to town will run you around $4 USD.

For more info regarding PV go to allvallarta.com

They have restaurant reviews etc.. from people who either live in PV or travel there frequently.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: puerto vallarta next year

Fireboy771 :

The Holiday Inn is great !

Private beach, big pool, free use of fluffy beach towels, jacuzzis, exercise room, tennis courts, right on busline into town for only 45 cents each way. Good to go into town, even better to get back to the serenity of the quieter beach.

RE: the post about the 2 day rock concert; it was actually on the public beach next door to the Holiday Inn during Easter break, had nothing to do with the Holiday Inn. The whole town was packed - busiest it has ever been.

As with any place, you are going to find good and bad reviews. One person's happiness may be another person's nightmare.

Have you booked your room yet ? If not, suggest you go to www.rentalo.com or www.vrbo.com and look for owners of condos on the Holiday Inn property. The condos have kitchens and more amenities.

Hope this helps !

wpg,mb
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: puerto vallarta next year

I've stayed at the Royal Decameron, it's about 30 mins. away from PV. It is an AI. There is a little town next door for shopping much better prices there then in PV. The hotel is very clean, the food is great and more than one place to eat at. The beach is much nicer here than the beaches in PV.

cheers

Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: puerto vallarta next year

Hi Fireboy771,

I was at the Holiday Inn last month for a week and LOVED it!

The pool was the best on the hotel zone. It was very lively. DJ's play great music all day long. Mello in the morning, turns into top 40 dance music throughout the day. Activities almost every hour, such as water aerobics, tequila vollyball, beach vollyball, dance lesons and much more. The beach at the Holiday Inn is really nice. The view is to dye for. Mountains and surf. I was in heaven!!!

The rooms are very basic, but super clean. We stayed in the renovated smaller building on the third floor. We didn't have a great view, but we paid for a "run of the house" room and those are the cheapest. The rooms had blow dryers, iron/ironing boards and digital safes. We were very comfortable!

The food was surprisingly good. The buffet restaurant was open air next to the pool. I loved having my morning coffee and breakfast looking out at the fabulous veiw of the ocean and mountains every morning!!! Fresh fruit was always on the buffet at all the meals. A nice selection of entrees, not gormet, but very good. Aways a nice fish dish and plenty of steamed veggies if your a vegetarian. The Italian reastaurant was great!!! You must make reservations a day ahead. Go to the buffet restaurant cashier at 9:00 am the morning before for a reservation, or you won't get in.

If your not expecting the Ritz, you'll be very happy with the Holiday Inn. I feel I got so much more than what I paid for. I plan on returning again next year.

Good luck!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: puerto vallarta next year

Fireboy,

you will love Vallarta! So much different than the DR and Cuba...here is a place you can explore and explore and still feel like you didn't get a good taste.

We have hundreds of restaurants, accommodations for every taste and budget plus Vallarta is very safe.

Seriously, whatever you want out of your vacation, you can find it here.

One thing I really do suggest since you seem to be pretty well traveled, skip the All Inclusive hotels, you will tend to get locked in and miss the best food (Shrimp, fish, real meat;) and the best bars, clubs, sunset drinks on the beach and everything in between.

Try looking into hotels on the southside of the river Cuale.

The Tropicana is great- or check out a private condo at the Vista Del Sol- (google search, plenty of rentals)

Start "shopping" now- by time you come down you will have a laundry list of great things to do and see.

:)