We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
178 posts
24 reviews
Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Hi,

Can anyone comment on the Casa Hogar orphanage specifically regarding food donations and volunteering?

Personal experience, advice?

17 replies to this topic
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
12,411 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

YES. I’ve been there and it is amazing. They do have a website with contact info where you can get lists of things they need and times which are best to visit. pvangels.com/charities/68/casa-hogar-childre…

We went with a friend who frequently goes there and drove us in his car. They knew him, plus he already knew what they needed. We went to Walmart and filled our shopping cart with chicken (he said good for chicken soup and various dishes they make there), cereals, rice, beans, toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, diapers, etc.... tossing in stuff right and left. We also bought a couple packs of cookies for the children so they could each have 1 treat. We spent around $100.00usd but paid in pesos.

When we arrived we were welcomed with open arms. The lady who came out to greet us only spoke Spanish and our friend did too so that was good. Even if we had gone by ourself (and no Spanish) there would have been no problem in communicating. We were all on the same page. She was so happy with the donations. She took us to the kitchen & dining room area and dropped the items off for her helpers to unload and then she gave us a tour.

We were able to see the children’s living quarters, school area, and grounds. It was nice visiting with the children. They were not in their school session at the time so we played with them in the courtyard. We also saw the area where the babies were housed. A couple of new babies had just come in. So tiny! We held the babies for quite awhile. It was so special.

This visit changed all of our hearts. The children from babies to 18 years old all loved our visit. It was so welcoming and rewarding. We spent about 2 hours there and we took lots of photos too. I would love to go again.

Edited: 6:12 pm, August 11, 2018
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
178 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Thank you for the very detailed response.

We will contact them prior to visiting and I will take your advice and do a Wal Mart run.

How far would the Orphanage be from Pelicanos Grande?

My best estimate is it is only a few kilometers from the hotel;

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
12,411 posts
249 reviews
3. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

I’m not sure on the distance it is for you from Pelicanos Grande. Hopefully someone will chime in to help you with traveling time. I’ll give you a website that will help in locating things.

http://vallartainfo.com

Look in the “maps” section. :)

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

I agree with everything Deana said, except that they have an upper age limit of about 14 (although there was 1 girl there about 17 once, who had come back to them because her situation had not improved at home). Around age 14 they move on to adolescent facilities or they return to their homes, if the situation has improved.

They will also accept cash donations and provide a receipt to you. I know I once made a very significant cash donation (everything that was in my wallet) of just over $200 USD. I figured that they knew best what they needed vs. me trying to guess. However I have also stopped at Wal-mart on other trips and loaded up on supplies too. They do remarkable work there with so little. I try to make at least one visit each and every time I am in Pto. Vallarta.

I would say travelfreak that they are about 4 - 5 miles from the Pelicanos Grande. They are just past the PVR airport, about 200m past the Alamo Car Rental office on the same side of the highway (which would put them just before the turn off for the Pto. Vallarta main bus station). So I guess I am trying to say that they are between PVR airport & the bus station, on the side of the highway OPPOSITE the airport.

Here is a link to their website:

http://puertovallartachildrenshelter.org/

They also have a group on Fb, if you have access to that social media website. Here is that link:

https:/…

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 7:13 pm, August 11, 2018
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
178 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Excellent info, much appreciated.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
12,411 posts
249 reviews
6. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

They call this a shelter, not orphanage. I used to call it orphanage too but was set straight by JR, lol. Anyways, I think the age of children can vary. Probably just depends on the family home situation as to what age children they currently have (as Lonestar mentioned). There were a couple of 17 year olds and one 16 year old when we visited and many younger age school children, and of course about 5 babies.

I wonder if they could use school equipment? balls, jump ropes.....

Edited: 8:04 pm, August 11, 2018
wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Money is the best gift. But if you want to give something, go to their website and under the help tab, will be a list of things needed. Great cause!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
209 reviews
8. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Agree with much above. I also went to Casa Hogar awhile back, with a small group who go regularly and know what they need. It's a non-profit in PV.

We took exactly the food they needed --- since our group leader knew what they needed --- but were able to stay for a couple of hours and hold the little ones (they need that) and play games with the older kids.

There was a poster here in the last couple of years who dropped by, bringing a lot of supplies, but found that they were overloaded with such products. So it's important, if you intend to bring products, to bring what they need and make contacts ahead of time.

What they mostly need, as above, is attention and love, for the little ones. Money is great. Time is the best.

Do keep in contact with them before you go. The site is clean and beautiful. The kids are adorable and need human contact. The people who staff Casa Hogar are skilled and so kind and like part-time parents to the kids.

But --- do adapt to their facility and system, by offering what they specifically need when you go. Money and time are the greatest gifts. You will get more out of it than you can imagine ---- and regular visitors, who get to know the kids, are the best of all.

Edited: 1:32 pm, August 12, 2018
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

Lovely post Marly & great advice!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
178 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz

We were able to visit Casa Hogar last week. It was a very rewarding experience and our food donation was greatly appreciated .

I would encourage others to take time to visit.

And only a 60 peso cab ride from Wal Mart.

Reply to: Casa Hogar Maximo Cornejo Quiroz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted