We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

1. If 2 people travel can you put in 15 pesos to pay for 2 fares ? Or do you have to pay for each fare individually?

2. If you don't have the ,5 pesos I assume bus accepts 8 pesos? 16 pesos for 2 or do you have to put in 8 pesos each?

3. If we don't have 8 pesos but have 10 pesos then for 2 people it would be 2 x 10 pesos ?

4. How hard is it to get small change in Puerto Vallarta? We usually used 20 peso notes we got from our bank before leaving home and got change back from the bus driver on the old buses. Before we only need 2 x 20 peso notes now I understand we will need it all in coins.

17 replies to this topic
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

Strange questions. Bus drivers make change, this is not an issue.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

The new busses have a fare box that only accepts coins.

You can pay for more than one person. If you pay over the amount, you won't get change.

Pretty much anytime you purchase anything you will get some coins back. I just keep a small change wallet with me and save my coins for busses and tipping store baggers.

You could probably get change for a $20 MX at any Oxxo store to get you started, if that's all you have.

Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

Funky,

There are new busses rolling in this year but not all at once, Drivers will no longer make change on new busses.

JJ,,, It will be possible to buy prepaid cards.

Hoping that you can pay 15p for 2... I'll see what I can find out

I believe that transfers will be possible now only if you use a prepaid card. Cash fares will still be no transfers

The new buses have air conditioning, security, cameras, information screens, and a payment system for prepaid cards. Eight buses went into operation in May as an introduction, and additional will be added until December, when 332 new units will make up the entire bus system. The new buses will run on gas, lowering pollution in the city, as well.

Edited: 10:17 am, July 31, 2018
Canada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

As far as I know the pre-paid card option has been delayed, there have been problems with the company that is operating the new bus company. One of the principal owners was arrested and jailed for cartel affiliations and because of that, the switch over to new busses, prepaid cards and changes in routes is in limbo until the other people involved in the bus company can figure out next steps.

vallartaopina.net/2018/…

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

Why a strange question? This is about new buses. I had read the new buses had a fare box with drivers not making change. I am familiar with the old buses but by our next trip there may few old buses on the road.

Thanks MarPV for the information. I appreciate it. Good to know you can pay for two fares together on the new buses.

Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

LINK:

http://www.unibuspv.com.mx/

One of the benefits of using the pass, aside from digging for change, is that if you transfer from one bus to another, the second fare will be discounted 50% and the third transfer will be free.

The INNOVAPASS can be purchased and reloaded at the terminals in Plaza Caracol, Sam’s Club, Plaza Pitillal and at Cetram Ixtapa. In the coming months you will be able to top up your transit passes at convenience stores, banks etc. you can refill from 0.50 to 200 pesos.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

Forgot to mention, not all of the new busses ended up having air conditioning and some drivers are not using it even if they have it. ;-(

Look for busses with sweaty windows, they are the air conditioned ones. ;-)

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

Thanks nhsets for this info. Good to know about the transfers and difference in price. If we have to transfer we probably won't use a bus just take a taxi ( can't use uber as don't have a phone).

Thanks MarPV for additional info as well.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,767 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

You are welcome to over pay for the ride. As long as you are OK with not getting change back.

It's very easy to get change in coins. Just save them when you're doing shopping. 10s and 5s are very handy, 2s and 1s for the bus.

Edited: 10:36 am, July 31, 2018
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,483 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions

I saw the new buses in June and July, and they didn't all use air conditioning, and that's summertime so I wouldn't count on it in the winter.

Thanks for the article in post #4 MarJPV, very interesting. Really it's no surprise as it looks like things are running true to form, "best laid plans" and all that. :-)

Reply to: Exact Change on New Buses - A few Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta