We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

With the introduction that I don't research, review, reserve, or put as much thought into where I am going to dine in PV as many of you do. Here are some of my hits & misses from this past trip:

*Langostino's* for breakfast. Chorizo omelete, side of beans, side of mini quesadilas, with unlimited coffee only 95 peso. Everything was perfect about this meal, food quality, service, atmosphere, quiet live music added to the ambience. I love overlooking the beach but being tucked away from the action.

*La Piazzetta* for dinner. Yes I had pizza, and yes if was fabulous. The one with the greek olives, salami, mushrooms. And a margarita. Even the party of 12 with 6 kids (!!) seated right after me did not spoil the meal. Complimentary cold little kahlua milk cocktail for dessert.

30 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

*Page in the Sun* for iced coffee in the morning. 48 peso. Excellent espresso made fresh, over ice, with dairy of your choice. Absolutely perfect. Really nice staff. I didn't have a chance to try it, but the breakfasts I saw being served looked very appealing.

*Salud Super Foods* for the Bay of Banderas smoothie. Again love the owners and staff here. Great ambiance. The way they do their breakfast burritos is really special. They remodeled to include a bit more seating indoors now.

*Archie's Wok* for Restaurant Week. the 269 peso menu, adding a glass of cold Sav Blanc. Panko breaded fish over salad greens, white rice to share at the table, gazpacho was my chosen starter, coconut gelato for dessert. Was there with 3 other people, everyone enjoyed their meal and loved the atmosphere of the restaurant (i was with PV newbies this meal).

Mentioned in this post
Salud Super Food
Salud Super Food
662 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Bay of Banderas
Bay of Banderas
575 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Archie's Wok
Archie's Wok
987 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

You had 3 of my very favorites. Page in the Sun (my fav coffee is PV), Salud and Archies. Great choices!

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

*Margarita Grill* two of us at lunch time. It was my first time at this restaurant and I am so-so about it. Everything was OK but only just that. I thought pricey for what it was. Our bill totaled at 1200p, which granted was 2 entrees (chicken molcajete & chicken chili relleno) and 4 margaritas, plus tip... but still :)

*Cafe de Olla* late lunch, twice, sopes both times. One plate (chicken) was fantastic, fresh, tender, flavorful. Second time with ground beef was not good and a completely different meal, tough, greasy. Mid-day is the only time I visit here, too busy at breakfast and dinner-time. Plus I think the mid-day waiters are a lot nicer.

*Daiquiri Dick's* Restaurant Week menu was a huge disappointment. And did nothing to present that restaurant in a way that would make people want to rush back. Delish tempura calamari but paired with a terribly over-mustarded cole slaw. Pasta main was shrimp with kale pesto and mushrooms. Not good. Dessert of key lime pie was fine but nothing special. They were on the 499p pricing.

Mentioned in this post
Margarita Grill
Margarita Grill
868 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Cafe de Olla
Cafe de Olla
1,410 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Daiquiri Dick's
Daiquiri Dick's
1,098 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

*Mikey's* at Los Mercados is my go-to for to-go. Love that deli. I had many meals from there, either at lunch or taking something home for dinner later on. Their Chef's Salad and blue cheese dressing are perfect. Couscous and greek salad are nice. My favorite meal was a grilled chicken breast cold, side of "chicory slaw" that was outstanding, and fresh onion bagel. Sounds simple but it was delightful. Paired with a cold bottle of Sav Blanc from Chile.

*Fredy's El Tucan* a long-time favorite did not disappoint with good hot breakfasts a couple times.

*Warique* I am including on my list although I did not have the opportunity to eat there myself. I stopped by for lunch (but they are only open for dinner in summer season). And tried again on Sunday evening but they were booked. They were participating in Restaurant Week as well as doing some interior remodeling (as far as space restrictions). I mention it here because everyone I spoke with who had been there loved the place. It was getting 100% positive reviews from savvy diners around town.

*La Posta* I didn't eat there this trip but had margaritas twice at the bar in the course of the evening, when the cute & friendly bartender let me hang out to get in out of the madness for a few, the night of the Bomba Estereo concert happening right across the street. Kudos to them for the warm welcome, much appreciated the drinks and the bathroom!

Edited: 3:16 pm, June 12, 2018
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

nothing like eating your way around pv.

i feel bad about dd doing a bad job with restaurant week. i've eaten lunch there more than any other place in pv. they're better than that. wonder what happened.

Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

These are some of my faves too. I eat at least twice at Archies and Salud every visit. For me the quickest way to ruin a pasta dish is with kale pesto :(

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

ya ya, you're absolutely right. I should have known :-) when kale was mentioned -haha-

it wasn't just green (which i expected) the pasta was literally drowning in the overwhelming sauce. i've had very nice shrimp & pasta dishes at DD's in the past. so really too bad on that particular recipe choice. same with the calamari. i can't imagine anyone would think that cole slaw was OK. both cases completely overwhelmed the seafood.

(as people who read here regularly know) I am a fan of Daiquiri Dick's generally. But they did themselves no favor with the RW menu :( at least with my picks. in hindsight should have just ordered off the regular menu or chosen the pork chops & mashed potato, another RW choice the folks next to me had that looked normal.

Edited: 4:49 pm, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Daiquiri Dick's
Daiquiri Dick's
1,098 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

*Desserts*

Winner in this category this trip were two I bought at a tent on the Malecon (35p each) on Sunday evening, one a layered frosted spice cake and the other a generous slice of homemade flan. She was able to wrap them up to go for me. Both were excellent.

Salted carmel pecan ice cream from LIX! Fabulous (as are their frozen, dark or milk chocolate dipped, nutella stuffed optional, rolled in chopped nuts, bananas).

Pie de Queso at Yarita bakery, with or without coconut on top. Nice!

Pistachio gelato from the place on Olas Altas (not the one in front of La Piazzetta which is wonderful as well) but on the inland side of the street around Elsa-ish location.

Mentioned in this post
Olas Altas
Olas Altas
448 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

thanks for taking the time to post all the details!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
359 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7

Thanks for the report. Have added Mikey's to my list of places to check out.

Two_4

Reply to: Best food and drink 5/29-6/7
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted