We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Criminality

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
4 posts
Criminality

Hello,

My wife and I are on the point to rent a casa with AirBnB at Puerto Vallarta for 3 months. However, the Canada is raising a travel advice "MEXICO - Exercise a high degree of caution" due to the high levels of criminal activity, as well as demonstrations, protests and occasional illegal roadblocks throughout the country.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

My question is, should I be scared? Should I continue my plan or cancel it. In fact, I don't trust the news that much, that can turn fast to drama, on the other hand, I don't want to move right in a middle or a civil war...

If you would like to suggest us to continue our plan to move in Puerto Vallata, is there any quarter or city,s area that you would recommend more than other?

I look forward to your answer.

Regards,

Jonathan

Edited: 7:02 am, May 02, 2018
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
1. Re: Criminality

You do not need to worry. Puerto Vallarta is one of the safest cities in México, maybe THE safest.

It's a city, so just use the same "city sense" you would anywhere, and you will be just fine.

As for areas in which to stay, we live in Old Town/Zona Romantica and love it. 5 de Deciembre, Centro, the Marina, Amapas, and Conchas Chinas are all lovely areas that I would recommend for a long stay. Be aware that much of Vallarta is built up the sides of mountains, so if that might be an issue for you, stay closer to the bay where the land is flatter.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Criminality

You need to more careful read the advisories and note the exact locations they are cautioning against.

The advisories do not include the city of Puerto Vallarta.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,951 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Criminality

I think that you'll be perfectly safe, especially in popular tourist areas (Marina, Hotel Zone, Centro, Zona Romantica (South of the Rio Cuale). Just use normal precautions and don't put yourself in risky situations by being out in the wee hours, flashing cash and/or jewelry, being publicly intoxicated, looking for drugs, etc. There's probably trouble to be found if you're looking for it. Not hearing any warnings for the Puerto Vallarta area. I might rethink my plans if I was headed to the Cancun area or especially Acapulco which is experiencing very concerning crime rates. Just on the news last night about tourists finding a bullet riddle body on the beach of a prime tourist area. Pass.

Edited: 12:09 pm, April 18, 2018
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,736 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: Criminality

I can see why you wonder, I read it carefully and even though it leaves PV out of the list of cities, it still says ...

"Exercise a high degree of caution in the cities that are excluded from the above advisory."

You do not need to excercise a HIGH degree of caution, just use common sense and be cautious like you would at home, or anywhere that you travel.

I am going for a month solo with another female and I'm not concerned, I'll just use common sense in PV like I have for 30 years of visits. :-) Don't worry, enjoy your trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Criminality

Kansas, If you are going with a friend, how is that "solo"? :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,736 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: Criminality

As you know I’ve gone total solo female before, but I consider meeting a girlfriend there solo as well. My husband of 34 years isn’t going, and he knows I will be alright there for a month. When you’re married and you travel without your partner, you’re solo in my book.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Criminality

Interesting perspective. So when my sister & I go on vacation together, I'm really going solo?

Edited: 1:45 pm, April 18, 2018
So Cal
Level Contributor
8,859 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Criminality

Suze,

I guess if you fly down solo and then meet your sister at the airport on a different day, you traveled solo. I consider my self as traveling solo when family members and friends join me on seperate days and leave on seperate days. It's all how you look at it. 😄

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,736 posts
118 reviews
9. Re: Criminality

Jonathan it should be helpful to know my husband who has been to PV many many times, is not worried that he isn’t with me. :-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,615 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Criminality

Spin it however you like I guess.

But I've never before heard the term "solo" used just because your husband didn't come & instead you are on a trip with friends or a group or whatever.

I 'm pretty sure people normally mean they went to PV alone, when they say the are traveling solo/sola.

Edited: 5:24 pm, April 27, 2018