We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from the Tropicana

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Just returned from the Tropicana

Just got back yesterday...any questions?

San Antonio, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

How was it? We are headed down to PV next Saturday and the condo we are staying at is close to the Tropicana I believe. How is that area...any info is greatly appreciated. This will be our first time in PV.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Will arrive Wednesday! Hope you had a great time!

a couple questions come to mind...

- room advice: we booked a superior room. I take it the 'new tower' is the recommendation here?

- any laundamat nearby? (we are there for 2 weeks)

- nearest grocery store (for beer, coffee, etc)

- best place for breakfast nearby?

- favourite bars?

...I'm sure others will come to mind...thanks!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Let's see... as for any beer, bottled water, snacks, etc there is a little "convinence store" type place just down the hill from the Trop. They have great prices & yummy sweet rolls for breakfast.

We started out in room 250, eh... just ok. Rooms, even superior rooms are smallish compared to other hotels we've been to. We spent the other 6 nights in 550- which was MUCH better. We just asked to see another room, and they let us. No extra $$ needed. Beautiful room for sunsets.

Los Muertos beach is definately a world of it's own. (the beach the trop is on) we've stayed in Hotel zone & south of the trop... which had very clean, but underused beaches. Los Muertos has a variety of people. It's a public beach, so everyone from locals to tourists & tons of vendors. Initially the vendors bothered me, but then I realized I could shop from my beach chair- how great is that?? You can get anything you want from food to silver to toys.

Couple things to know about the Trop:

bring a travel iron. they don't offer any & I'm compulsive I guess... but it's nice to have if you go to a nice dinner.

don't expect a 5 star hotel. it's not. but... it's great. pool area is small but nice. grounds are well kept. You can get a safe at the front desk, for no charge. Also, right where you walk out onto the beach there is a small area where staff waits to get you beach chairs & tables & umbrellas.

Staff, maids, beach workers, etc appreciate tips & service is better with them.

don't bother with the food at the trop. there are SO many great places within walking distance.

Restaurants to try:

Breakfast: Fidicino's (sp?) is right in front of the Trop. Cheap for everything & fun for people watching.

Freddy Tucan's- on Basillo Badillo, yummy for everything.

Memo's- any kind of pancake you'd dream of.

If you're a coffee person, Dee's Coffee Company is the best. It's on R. Gomez which is super close to the Trop. Also has homemade desserts & pastries.

Dinners: Favorite hands down is Cafe de Olla on Basillo Badillo. Try the mexican combo & strawberry margs.

Also LOVED Barcelona Tapas on Matamoras. Quite a hike, up lots of stairs... but so worth it. Great food, even better view. Known for sangria.

As far drinks, etc... we're not huge partiers, but we tried club 69 on the malecon, which is where lots of bars are, including Hilo, which we tried. Other places, more bar than club would be Andale's on Olas Altas, Lazy Lizard and CyC's both on Los Muertos beach just down from the Trop. Lazy Lizard was kinda quiet & even romantic where we were sitting.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I researched our trip hugely & I know personal experience is helpful! Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe de Olla
Cafe de Olla
1,403 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Barcelona Tapas
Barcelona Tapas
1,786 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Olas Altas
Olas Altas
448 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Let's see... as for any beer, bottled water, snacks, etc there is a little "convinence store" type place just down the hill from the Trop. They have great prices & yummy sweet rolls for breakfast.

** for the most part that will be really handy, but is there a 'grocery store' nearby? ...we bring a travel coffee maker so we'd like to buy ground coffee....for that matter, can you get ground coffee at Dee's? (although we still need to get filters)

We started out in room 250, eh... just ok. Rooms, even superior rooms are smallish compared to other hotels we've been to. We spent the other 6 nights in 550- which was MUCH better. We just asked to see another room, and they let us. No extra $$ needed. Beautiful room for sunsets.

** nice! Was that in the new tower? Just to get my bearings, is it anywhere as seen in this picture?

…webshots.com/photo/…

or this:

…webshots.com/photo/…12445612DdUDaoTOCO

Couple things to know about the Trop:

bring a travel iron. they don't offer any & I'm compulsive I guess... but it's nice to have if you go to a nice dinner.

** my GF says "thanks for THAT tip!" :)

couple more questions:

- we are doing the 'Rhythms of the night' thing so we have to go to the Maritime Terminal....any idea on cab fare to there?

- cab fare from airport to the Trop?

- did you take public buses anywhere? if so, easy to navigate?

btw...I'm a big research guy too...my GF just shakes her head at all my notes and files for these trips :)

Chicago, IL
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Do I need a sweater or fleece when I'm out at night?

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Exactly where is the romantic section of PV. I am looking at staying at the Premiere hotel , Dulce Vida, or the tropicana. Did you see these hotels? All these have one thing in common..location. I here that the romantic section is great. Your opinion?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

Question for Jeffeyner: Did you find Los Muertos really crowded? Thanks.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

dingo44: there is a grocery store on Constitucion (sp?) Within walking distance. Rizo's I believe is the name. Also, there are little corner markets or six tecate stores all over the place. Most of the time you can find stuff you need there. I think Dee's has ground coffee, if my memory serves me correctly. We stayed in the newer section of the tower, opposite side of the pool, the far corner. Not sure if the pics match, but view looked relatively the same. We took cabs from the trop to clubs a couple nights, I think 40 or 50pesos, less than $5. We had the transfers included in our package, so we didn't have to pay to go to and from the hotel... not sure of the prices. One note: be sure to take a yellow cab (often found across the street) as they have much cheaper & set prices. White cabs aren't union & I don't think they have set prices. I would think no trip should be over $10 or $12, even from the airport. Just a guess. I'm sure someone else would know for sure. Oh, and tell your GF to consider bringing a lighted mirror, as lighting in the restroom isn't great to do makeup by, at least in the rooms we had. Also, if you guys are there on a sunday night, be sure to go to the Malecon around 6-8ish. Great shows & all the locals are out. As sick as it is, I have tons of notes for me to remember for our next trip, so let me know if you have other questions!

Kscoggi: I brought a hooded jacket to use at night, which I only used around sunset while sitting on the beach. It gets a little cool at times when by the water, so if you plan to walk the beach, it's not a bad idea to pack one. FYI, humidity set in a little while we were there. Not bad by any means, but less likely to need a jacket as the weeks go by.

Alberta: Los Muertos was a bit crowded on Saturday & Sunday afternoon, but otherwise it wasn't overly crowded. Also, we arrived only a week after a mexican holiday, so it could have been due to that? During the week the beach is definately used, but not too crowded. Not sure if you've stayed in PV before, but compared to the beaches around hotel zone or south of the romantic zone, Los Muertos is much more crowded & when I was there it was a little "trashy"...as in some trash from snacks etc...not the peopel themselves! :) I found it great to people watch, esp in front of the Trop. Closer to the pier, I'm not sure I would lay there.

mullett: As previously mentioned, I've stayed in the hotel zone & south of the romantic zone, so this was my first time staying in the heart of the city. I LOVED it. Would totally do it again. I loved doing a EP rather than AI. It is so great to walk to everything. I love the real charm of the cobblestone streets & seeing more of what I would call, the real city. Hotel zone was nice, but so far from the heart of the city. Hope this helps!

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

I'd like to stay at the Tropicana in August. DId you go through a travel agent to book your trip, or call them directly? What is your advice? Thanks for the earlier response.

Mentioned in this post
Tropicana Hotel
Tropicana Hotel
780 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Kansas City
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from the Tropicana

mullett: I actually booked online through

worryfreevacations.com. Very happy with their service. We did the charter, which of course was great. The trop isn't well known on other tour companies like gogo or apple or funjet. Not sure if worryfree has charters in your area, but that helped keep our cost extremely low. You may try to find the trop's website, as while we were there, they advertised a 4th night free.