We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Hello, I just got to PV today, and I have been thinking about possible going to Sayulita one morning and returning later in the afternoon. I am a female solo traveler and this is my first time in Mexico.

I've read a lot of different things on this but most of them seemed to be from almost 7 years ago so I'm worried things have changed - is it easier to just pay for a cab or uber? or where can I get a bus and how much is he fare usually(8 pesos?)?

I am staying in the downtown area close to the malecon, & I can't seem to find much information on buses (googlemaps doesn't help at all in that regard here)

Thanks in advance!

19 replies to this topic
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
1. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

You can take the bus. I'm going to let someone who has actually done it give you details about that. We have a car here.

I just checked my Uber app. Taking an Uber there would cost you 560 pesos. It was noted that the fares were higher at this time due to increased demand. The fare to return was 460.

You could also take a taxi. The fare will be at least 10% more than Uber.

It all depends on what you're comfortable with. One is as safe as another. It will be quicker to travel by Uber or taxi. It is a beautiful drive.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

You would take any bus going towards Walmart from Centro & get off at Walmart 7.5 p.

From the bus stop at Walmart you will need to walk about 100 yards north to the north of town bus stop. There is a guy there with a clipboard who will ensure you get on the right bus to Sayulita. I am drawing a blank on the fare but right around 30 p. It’s all very easy to do.

This bus will take you right to the end of the line in Sayulita, 5 min walk from there to town centre or beach.

Reverse procedure going back into PV & the last bus leaving Sayulita is 10pm, don’t trust then, count on 9:30.

It’s a nice day out. Enjoy your visit.

Edited: 11:50 pm, February 23, 2018
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Have taken the bus numerous times, both alone and with my husband.

You want the Compostela (green) bus, either from the corner of Francia and the main drag or from WalMart.

The first stop will be closer to you. The bus stop is right by the HSBC bank, across from Coppel (department store on other side of the 8 lane highway).

Sayulita bus parks behind local buses. A man with a clipboard will be there to help you find the right bus.

The WalMart stop may be easier for a first rider. The Compostela picks up there, in the bus shelter closest to the Vips Restaurant and Galeria. Again, a person with a clipboard will help you find the right bus. It will say Sayulita on the front of the bus.

Rate will be around 25+ pesos. Haven't done it for a couple of years. Should be less than 30. Ian would know.

Bus drops you off in a terminal (parking lot) at the entrance of town. Easy to walk across the little river into town and main square. Just turn left on the road. Plenty of tourists will be headed the same direction.

Bus will leave from same place at approximately 20 minute intervals.

It's a fun walking town and beach town. Very touristy. Lots of good shopping, people-watching and restaurants. Easy to negotiate and very safe.

Have fun.

Edit. Funny....ian and I were writing at the same time. ESP.

Edited: 12:05 am, February 24, 2018
4 posts
4. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

How safe is it getting from PV to Sayulita? Due to recent travel warnings, I'm a little nervous / starting to rethink my trip.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,623 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Gail E~ There are no safety concerns (other than some people reporting ongoing issues with food/water in Sayulita itself). The "recent travel warnings" do not include Puerto Vallarta or Sayulita or the area in between the two.

Edited: 5:31 pm, September 05, 2018
4 posts
6. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

thank you.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Hop the green Compostella bus, it's about 30 pesos, (at Walmart) and it turns down the road into Sayulita and into a makeshift bus depot. Lots of people get on and off there. Walk into town with everyone else. Stay out of the water unless they have fixed the sewage issue.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Sounds like great bus advice above. I have been to PV twice this year solo. I took an Uber to Sayulita once and had the same driver pick me up. The bus would be fine but since you are only staying for the day it will probably be faster in an Uber. Sayulita Is great and I think you should consider staying over. You can download the Rome to Rio app which gives you the bus schedules. It's one of the five apps I use in Mexico. I wrote a post about it even 🙂 Don't hesitate to contact me for for info. Enjoy!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Very safe depending on your bus drivers mood. Don't drink the water there, use hand sanitizer.

10. Re: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita

Which sewage issue? I am heading to Sayulita now and want to know if its safe to get into the ocean.

Thanks

Reply to: Best way to get from Puerto Vallarta to Sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted