We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Grand Venetian by-laws state that condo’s must be rented for at least 90 days.

Past practice has ignored the by-laws, thus condo’s have been rented for far less than 90 days.

A recent vote by an Extra-Ordinary meeting failed to reduce the 90 day minimum requirement as stated in Article 18 of the by-laws.

We have friends and acquaintances that are contacting owners and property managers to rent condo’s next year for far less than 90 days.

We are warning our renter contacts of the 90 day requirement. We advise them to ask the rental property managers or owners if they are going to comply with Article 18 of Grand Venetian by-laws.

We do not want to have unsuspecting renters arrive next year and be turned away at gate due to non-compliance of Article 18.

Edited: 3:16 pm, February 09, 2018
140 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,161 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Very helpful information, thank you for sharing.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
352 reviews
2. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Wasn't aware of that. Is this all the GV towers or just one/some of them. We had friends rent for a little under a week last August. Wonder if/how this will be enforced? Back home here the City of Coronado (across the bay from San Diego) has a law that vacation rentals need to be 30 days or more - but I see on the San Diego forum all the time of people renting for less.

Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
3. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

All three Towers of the Grand Venetian have the same By-laws. Thus all have Article18, 90 day minimum rental requirement.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Many of the condo associations have this rule in their contracts but owners never abide by them.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
603 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

We are here every year for over 90 days so it won't affect us but we have other friends who come here for less than 90 days so I will definitely pass on the information to them. They are all arriving in the next week and are staying for one month.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Yes renters BE AWARE!! My understanding is they are going to STRICTLY enforce the rule as owners have been complaining about short term rentals, even though the contract they signed when they purchased sitates 90 days rentals. Owners that are renting may try and by pass this rule, just to get a rental of their property. Wouldn't want to have booked my flights and paid for my less than 90 day rental at a Grand Venetian condo, only to be stopped at the front security gate and not allowed entrance, where do you stay with no rental and a nul and void rental agreement..YIKES!! BE CAREFUL RENTERS, it's not a hotel, and your owner lives in another city/country-of course the owners will tell you one thing about daily,weekly or monthly rentals but security and the law of the homeowner contracts will be another. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY..STAY AWAY, there are too many other nice places to rent in PV without having the worry or stress of possibly not having a condo to stay at! My advise DO NOT RENT AT GRAND VENETIAN !!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

This is incorrect. At the extraordinary meeting, the homeowners approved a reduction of the minimum rental rule from 90 days to 30 days. They also voted against implementing a penalty for those who violate the rule. Until a penalty is put in place to punish violators, the rule will not be enforced. Considering only 17% voted in favor of the implementation of a penalty, I find it very unlikely that the minimum rental rule be enforced any time soon. The majority of the property owners have made clear that they will not agree to implement a penalty until the minimum rental rule is reduced to 7 days. Until then, rentals will proceed as usual at the Grand Venetian.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

With my luck they would start enforcing it after the fact lol...lots of reservations are made so far in advance I'd just be weary..BUYER BE WARE, better safe than sorry, looks like things are getting shaken up with extra-ordinary meetings etc., things could change at anytime. I personally just wouldn't take the chance, there are so many other beautiful properties in PV that aren't having any rental issues or discrepancies, not my idea of a relaxing vacation worrying if I will really have a place to stay, Mexico is Mexico and the Grand Venetian is NOT a hotel property.

Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
9. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

DashPV

You are mistaken, homeowners did not approve the reduction to 30 days. You are mistaken regarding your statement that majority of property owners will not agree to Implement a penalty until the minimum rental is reduced to 7 days. Only one Tower voted for a reduction to 7 days and it missed passing by over 25%.

Edited: 8:14 pm, February 10, 2018
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware

Thanks inluvwc for the explanation, thats exactly why people should be very careful when renting at the Grand Venetian, surprise, surprise when you arrive at your rental to not be allowed entrance. Owners will tell their renters anything to get the rental and deposit and full payment before arrival..too many scarey stories of bad things happening and you have no recourse or no rental. Not my idea of a nice Mexican get-away vacation. Again just a reminder GV IS NOT A HOTEL so who do you complain to??

Reply to: Grand Venetian Renter’s Be Aware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted