We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical insurance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
35 reviews
medical insurance

Hi All, I just read something on this forum about medical insurance that scared me. I'm from British Columbia, Canada. I always buy medical insurance when traveling to PV or Europe. Here is what is concerning me: If I need medical attention while I am in PV, will I have to pay for the service up front, only to be reimbursed later? Or do I simply show my insurance card to guarantee that I am covered? This is very distressing to learn about this possibility after all these years(maybe having to pay up front, that is). I always assumed that I never had to come out of pocket for anything, since I pay up to $175 Canadian for a 10-day visit. Please let me know if you know anything about this. I am 75 years old, but haven't had any problems out of province yet.

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Manitoba
Level Contributor
581 posts
1. Re: medical insurance

Please contact pamela@healthcareresourcespv.com she will answer any questions you may have. Once we had to pay everything upfront (didn't use Pam) second time she took care of everything, including the translation of documents. Things change quickly in the medical/insurance world and she is on top of everything.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: medical insurance

In a case that I was sick, I went to the ER. My insurance was accepted by the hospital but, if I only stayed for the day, I had to pay up front that day, if I stayed overnight then they would take the insurance. That is a norm in a lot of places. The insurance paid me back when I got home to the States because I was only in the er that one day. OH, and they cured me. Medisist.

"Funman"

Edited: 3:58 am, December 17, 2017
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: medical insurance

There are so many variables, I do not think anyone can give you a cut and dry answer. Depends on what insurance you buy, where you seek treatment, what the treatment is, etc. My advice, read read read all the small print, and make a plan for what hospital you will go to IF anything happens.

Edited: 4:43 am, December 17, 2017
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
247 reviews
4. Re: medical insurance

Plus make sure you take a credit card as backup to pesos. Have your credit card cleared to use in Mexico for “so and so” dates. Always good to have a credit card in case of emergencies.......

Edited: 9:14 am, December 17, 2017
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
321 reviews
5. Re: medical insurance

Good advise from previous comments.

These problems of paying up front vary depending on your insurance.

In many cases if it is minor (like one day hospital ) you may need to pay and be reimbursted.

Usually if it is major or life threatening your insurance will take care of it.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
412 posts
136 reviews
6. Re: medical insurance

Be sure to check with your local insurance company before travelling. Being prepared ensures a worry-free vacation.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
125 reviews
7. Re: medical insurance

The local insurance company is not always accepted by the Mexican hospital. I know that Alliance is almost everywhere. And they were fast in sending me my money back and they cover a ton of things. Personal experience.

"Funman"

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
597 posts
8. Re: medical insurance

Biilyp, for your health care insurance questions, definitely contact the above mentioned Pamela Thompson. She will answer your questions and give you expert professional guidance if you should need to obtain medical services. Our friends know her and highly recommend her. You will get answers as it applies to Canadian imedical insurance coverage and claims as well as which doctor or hospital according to your needs.

Reply to: medical insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted