We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping and pesos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Davis, California
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping and pesos

A few final questions before trip on Sunday. I plan to use airport ATM and would appreciate advice on:

1) tipping guidelines at AI Fiesta Americana (housekeeping, meals, pool service, etc since it is all-inclusive)

2) information listed in TQ "Pesos or Dollars" seems outdated with regards to using pesos or dollars for tipping

Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping and pesos

Use the search feature and you will be buried in advice.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping and pesos

Use pesos if you can.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping and pesos

I tried the search feature and most was outdated or I could not access (perhaps computer issue). I recalled seeing information last September when I was booking trip but, unable to relocate, I thought I would post question given the Sunday departure. Most tipping responses did not mention all-inclusive resorts.

Thank you yaz08 for your advice.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping and pesos

Yaz haz. Use pesos if you can. But don't worry if you need to use US for tips. Airport ATM is an easy way to get your pesos. And convenient. Have a great trip. :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping and pesos

Below is a a reply I gave back in April..

Budget $25 US for tips per day exchanged to pesos . All inclusive may say tips included but they really are not.

$25 should give you $400 pesos roughly and the resort can at many times convert it for you. You certainly can tip what you like or if you want to but my last trip was as such for a frugal Canadian with pockets not as deep some.

70 pesos maid, 40 pesos breaky, 40 p for lunch, 50 for dinner buffet, and 100 plus for ala carte. Bartenders 20 pesos every other round for the wife and I. Then there are the general staff and between my wife and I it usually is another 60 pesos total per day for security, towel person, front counter exchange person, bellboy, groundskeeper,

Taxi's don't require tipping point A to B but if they haul our 50 lb. luggage around they get 25 pesos per bag. When you go on ROTN tour they will ask for a tip when the boat returns to port so you may want to tip 100 pesos or more depending on what you feel. Check out baggers at grocery stores in major stores work for tips. Hop a bus and someone like a clown or musician does a short performance on your journey so have 10 pesos available

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping and pesos

Agree with Kelowna, good advise

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping and pesos

Tip in pesos always.

"Funman"

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,465 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping and pesos

donaquixote the info in Top Questions isn't really outdated lol because the argument here is always the same no matter the year. Some people say that workers prefer US, some say workers prefer Pesos, and some say workers don't care. Well, I was requested by a merchant to pay in Pesos because it's inconvenient for him to exchange, so I will continue to always use Pesos.

Will tell you this in terms of tipping. Tipping $1 US bills vs. Pesos ...a $20 Peso note is smaller and thinner than a US bill, and they are waterproof. So, imo it's really easier to carry pesos around the property.

Have a great trip!

Reply to: Tipping and pesos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted