We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public alcohol consumption

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Phoenix
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Public alcohol consumption

What are the laws on drinking while wandering the streets? My husband likes to carry his big 32 oz insulated cup with him everywhere we go. Would it be legal to fill that cup with margarita and stroll down the Malecon?

Canada
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public alcohol consumption

Unless your husband starts dancing with a statue on the Malecon, he should be fine...LOL.

From what I understand there is a law against drinking alcohol while strolling the streets however it was enforced mostly with locals and not tourists. However, I have seen a lot more locals walking around with beers in the last week. I also noticed that many bars are now serving drinks to go.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public alcohol consumption

Thank you for the reply. I know we did it in Cabo but in US, you can do it in Las Vegas but not in Phoenix.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public alcohol consumption

If walking about with a can or bottle of beer you could get in trouble. Bars have the red “to go” cups but if you have your own generic container you should have no problem AS LONG as you are not being a problem.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public alcohol consumption

I buy a beer at the oxxo all the time and drink out of a can with no issues in many trips. Certainly bubba cups and other cups are fine as well.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public alcohol consumption

Technically there are open container laws. Lots ignore them, but they can be enforced. There are other booze quirks that go unnoticed to tourists. Like Oxxo beer fridges that auto lock for certain hours. I once ordered a beer in a restaurant that wasn't licensed to sell beer without food. Who'd think there would be such rules in Mexico? The owner brought the beer and a couple of dirty plates to the table.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public alcohol consumption

If I were to do this, I think I would confine it to daylight hours and be relatively discreet about it. I don't think I'd do it after hours at night as I wouldn't want to give the occasional dubious police officer cause to stop me for a shake down. Not that I recall any reports of open container enforcement leading to a shake down.

Edited: 1:00 pm, December 12, 2017
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public alcohol consumption

Dirty plates? Gross. A couple of chips and a spoonful of salsa would have taken care of the requirement for food and cost the owner almost nothing. Sorry, but I can’t endorse that one.

Go cups are the norm. Don’t act like a jackass and all should be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Public alcohol consumption

Interesting, I hadn't noticed the OXXO autolock beer fridges. A long while back, they shut down our local OXXO for almost a day (with official "CLAUSURADO" stickers across the door). Turns out that the kid running the night shift lost track of time and made an accidental after-hours sale. Unfortunately for him, a PV police patrol happened to be parked in the front of the store to witness the event.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,746 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public alcohol consumption

I think it's tacky but no one will stop you if you aren't acting drunk and foolish.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public alcohol consumption

He’s perfectly fine doing it, no one is going to bother him at all, especially if it’s in a mug. There are literally dozens of people walking around with can Beer in their hand on the malecon. I myself am no stranger to walking around with a cup of beer in my hand at night, something I can’t do many places in the states so it’s nice to have a beer on a stroll.