We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Since I will be going for the first time in January what are some things NOT to do. I'm referring to places to skip that maybe a first timer might think would be fun or interesting but in reality is not. Or things not to do that are considered rude or taboo. Ex. Don't jaywalk across busy streets because it's sketchy and dangerous. Not the best example but you know what I mean.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Don’t go to a timeshare presentation.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Don’t put the toilet paper in the toilet (in many places) lol

Don’t talk to a timeshare shark at the airport

Don’t walk across the street without looking

Don’t forget to ask for the check. “La Cuenta Por Favor” when you are done with a meal

Don’t forget to walk on the shady side of the street, look out for high curbs, and meters that stick out from walls.

Don’t forget to count your change at an OXXO

Don’t forget to let your bank know your cc and dc cards will be used in Vallarta on so and so dates

Don’t forget to pack a pen for your immigration / custom forms

Don’t forget to xerox a copy of your itinerary & passport and leave at home

Don’t forget to pack your meds in your carry-on

Don’t forget all your electronics cords, chargers, extension cord and flashlight

Don’t forget to have FUN and RELAX!

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

777Deana777 - great list! I'd like to add dont make eye contact with the sharks at the airport.

Be really careful crossing roads. I think STOP signs and traffic lights are merely a suggestion.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
530 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Don't forget to keep your visitor card that you get on entering Mexico that is stamped when you arrive. You have to present it when you leave and it's very important. A real hassle to replace it if you lose it.

If you take a local bus take a seat as soon as you can or hold onto something when you board. Bus drivers can sometimes take off and it's easy to fall.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Don’t forget to confirm the taxi price before you get in and take off...or you may have a big surprise at the end of your ride!

Edited: 12:06 am, October 16, 2017
Wasatch Range, Utah
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

During the winter, how important is it to check the cruise ship schedule?

If a cruise ship or 2 is in town, will it be noticiably busier on the beaches, on snorkeling trips, etc?

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
662 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Do not just stay at your resort, get out and explore.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
75 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

Don't use US dollars and don't use just any old ATM machine, search google for your bank's Mexican sister bank.

Don't buy the oysters being carried around the beach, especially later in the day (morning is fine).

Don't be afraid of the buses, they are extremely useful and a blast.

DOn't be afraid of street food.

Don't take a booze cruise unless that is really your thing.

Don't buy into the news you hear about Mexico, PV is as safe as it gets.

Don't urinate in public

Don't bring outside food into a restaurant without expecting a fee.

Don't forget sunscreen and sunglasses

Don't worry, just enjoy your vacation!

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

For John M - I think it depends where you are staying and what you are doing but I have never noticed any difference when the cruiseships are in. Sometimes I do see the buses loading people in and out of jewelry shops or tequila tastings but nothing that affects me.

10. Re: Things NOT to do in Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, October 24, 2017