We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
676 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

I wonder if folks here have experience renting directly from a condo owner and feel this is safe/advisable, or is it smarter to go through agency? Argh it won't let me edit header, but I meant VRBO

Edited: 7:36 pm, September 19, 2017
48 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,125 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

I either use a local agency in PV or rent direct from an owner who I know personally.

I have never used Home Away or VRBO myself.

I don't know if it's smarter, but I am a lot more comfortable doing it my way (plus I like to be able to pay by personal check not have to use Pay Pal or a credit card).

2. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:02 pm, September 19, 2017
Edited: 8:02 pm, September 19, 2017

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

For me, I've used VRBO once for a Hawaii trip, but I would also use it in Vallarta IF I did not know the condo owner etc. VRBO does give you the protection so you are worry free if something goes wrong, plus there's a paper trail. BUT they do have fees so you need to take that into consideration. But for me, it's peace of mind as well. I usually stay at a hotel in Vallarta and like the fact that I don't have to pay up front. With VRBO you do. It all comes down to if you know and trust the condo owner. And too, If I find it on VRBO I don't want to side-step VRBO and get the owners phone number from there and do business on the side. Not fair to VRBO. Anyways everyone is different. You have to do what is comfortable for you.

We do most everything by credit card. Great way to pay. Good protection and we get miles as well, each time we use it.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,308 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

We have rented through VRBO with great success, and from that experience I developed contacts with owners that I often use now. We have rented through Airbnb once with a good experience as well. I have also rented through Jeff Musto at Puerto Vallarta Rentals... http://puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/ with great success.

r

We have paid with credit card usually in the beginning through websites, and later with a personal check when renting through an owner I know.

That is not to say your experience will always be pristine even with a website like VRBO, but mine have as have many other people's experiences here. I think there are way more good owners than owners who mislead on sites like VRBO. Photos are key and if you're nervous, it's often a good sign when the owner is willing to talk on the phone.

5. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:48 pm, September 19, 2017

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

We used Home Away for years with no problem.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

We've used VRBO all over the world with no problems. The key is good communication.

" I don't want to side-step VRBO and get the owners phone number from there and do business on the side. Not fair to VRBO"---not really the case with VRBO. You pay a yearly fee to advertise with them, they do not get a percentage of rentals, so no need to feel bad to sidestep them.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

We use VRBO sometimes and have only had one bad experience in the USA. None in Mexico. I have no problem sidestepping VRBO. I like to have many conversations for our needs/wants with the owners and we then make our own deal and deal direct. Why pay more if you don't have to?

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

Re #8 post. < "I like to have many conversations for our needs/wants with the owners and we then make our own deal and deal direct. Why pay more if you don't have to? > " Jill, I understabd what you're saying. but if someone does this, they need to know there's risk involved with no protection if the owner decides to tell you at the last minute, "Oh, that condo is no longer available." I've seen it happen. Then you are in a mad scramble to find something very quick (if anything is still available by then).

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO

About ten years ago we dealt with an agent and everything was fine until it wasn't. We rented through her successfully for about three years. One time, in the summer she asked us to send a bank draft for $3,000 to hold an apartment for January. We sent the bank draft. In December she told us the apartment was damaged during a storm (it was on the Malecon). She wanted to substitute a real dump (I had a friend in PV who looked at the offered apartment). We did find out from the owner that she was never authorized to rent us the apartment on the Malecon. Long story short - we lost all the money and had to scramble to find an apartment for that winter.

We lodged a formal complaint with the authorities in PV but we were never able to recover any of our lost money. Another couple also lost more money than us with the same agent for the same apartment. (I had put a letter in the local paper and they answered that they had lost money in the scam as well. )

We had originally found this agent from a notice on a bulletin board. She was not with any agency and we learned an expensive lesson. When she fell on hard times she took advantage of people.

Reply to: Direct rental or through Home Away/VBRO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted