We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

Has there ever been a hurricane similar to what we just witnessed recently in PV and is PV geographically situated in a location that would make it susceptible to such an occurrence?

Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
1. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

There is always a "chance" of a hurricane this time of year on the Eastern Pacific. Here is some history if you want to read more.

www.puertovallartatours.net/hurricanes.htm

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

The last hurricane that had any sort of significant effect on PV was in 2002, and it wasn't from a direct hurricane hit, it was storm surge after the hurricane took landfall 100 miles north. You can Google Hurricane Kenna for more information.

PV is a huge bay, and a deep one. The Sierra Madre mountains are on the south end and block a lot of weather. Google "Hurricane Patricia" to see what I mean - friends were in PV for Patricia in 2015 and the city was more than prepared for it, but nothing happened.

PV is not on open ocean and as such is not as susceptible to storms like the one you just saw without a direct hit. I've been in PV when the outer bands of a Category 5 passed outside the bay - lots of rain, a good solid wind and waves, but no major issues or significant damage. It's two hours by boat from the city to the open ocean so it's pretty much a hurricane hole.

Lots of information out there on the web if you want to research.

Edited: 12:05 pm, September 13, 2017
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

In the last several years it isn't PV that's had to worry about major storms - it's Cabo. They've been hit several times (and were just hit again a few weeks ago).

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

Nobody can say a hurricane could ever ever hit Puerto Vallarta directly, but like Jen described it is well protected by the Sierra Madre mountain range and the very large and very deep Bahia de Banderas.

We were there in 2002 when the storm surge from hurricane Kenna hit, we stood and watched it from our oceanfront balcony on Playa Los Muertos, something we obviously could not have done if the hurricane itself hit. We watched as the palapas and fish shacks were washed out to sea, and the Malecón right below us was torn up. By 12:30 that afternoon we were drinking at a bar lit by candlelight, later that afternoon the power came back on and we went to La Ronda for dinner that night. Parts of Centro near the water and the hotel zone got more damage.

Yes there was a lot of damage, but nothing like what might have happened in PV did not have the protection it does.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

"Yes there was a lot of damage, but nothing like what might have happened in PV did not have the protection it does."

And nothing like the awful damage we see in Cabo when they take direct hits. Tropical Storm Lidia did huge damage a couple of weeks ago.

Seattle
Level Contributor
52,140 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

<<similar to what we just witnessed recently in PV>>

That sentence is confusing. What recently happened in PV? I'm not aware of anything.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

Travelrok - Good information. Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,483 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

Your best bet is to research the worldwide metereorological sites, especially all the severe weather warning sub-sections of those Resources. Those were my bible as I nervously watched Patricia heading straight towards Vallarta in October, 2015, then veering away and landing south....

Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
9. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

Ya sorry that was poorly worded, I meant what recently happened in Florida and the Caribbean.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
18,081 posts
209 reviews
10. Re: Chances of Hurricane Happening in PV?

You'll never see anything like recently in the Atlantic hurricane season, in Puerto Vallarta, until the world turns from climate change.

I wasn't there in Kenna, but was there in 1983 for Hurricane Tico (a Pacific Hurricane which killed some people in Mazatlan, with trees and power lines falling, and delayed our travel into and out of Puerto Vallarta and stormed the Sierra Madres east big-time.....it affected us as we were trying to get to Puerto Vallarta in driving rain).

As others have said though, the terrain is such that it would be extremely rare to have a storm of much magnitude make landfall in PV, due to the mountains and the bay, etc. They can hit with some power south of PV, such as in Barra de Navidad and Manzanillo and other areas south, which do not have the same protective mountain terrain.

As others have also said, Cabo is less protected, so Pacific hurricanes coming toward that area (like Odile in a recently October) have a clear track.