We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe del Mar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
594 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cafe del Mar

The coffee place between Olas Altas and the beach.

Just walked by. The space looked mostly empty. Closed. closed for season, moved, or remodeling...could not tell.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafe del Mar

They were open the week before last. They open late by café standards (10:00) am. The real tell will be if the gallery has been emptied out. I know quite a few expats who go there regularly, so I would think they would have enough business for low season. If it is a seasonal closing, there is usually a sign posted somewhere.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
998 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafe del Mar

I was told when I was there a few weeks ago by a friend who is personal friends of the gallery owner that the café has closed for good.

But if they were open last week maybe something has changed.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafe del Mar

Someone mentioned here that that place was closed temporarily(?) because condos were being built on top of it.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafe del Mar

I was pretty sure it was open the last week of May but it could have been the week before when I walked by, which would coincide with what bluedenim is saying. I guess my friends will have to get their "Café Americano" elsewhere...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafe del Mar

"Just walked by. The space looked mostly empty. Closed. closed for season, moved, or remodeling...could not tell."

Unless they have torn down the notice in the window, the closure was to be temporary while condos were to be built above the store/café. It's been closed since around mid March (that's when my winter friends first clued me into it), and was closed with the same notice in the window in early May.

The owners had opened a temporary gallery space elsewhere (information was on that posted notice) in the interim.

Edited: 6:00 pm, June 12, 2017
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafe del Mar

Sorry, correction - I don't think it was closed in mid March but there was talk. It WAS definitely closed at the start of May, with the aforementioned notice in the window with all the details about the condos and temporary gallery space elsewhere.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
594 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafe del Mar

The doors were wide open and it had the look of an empty warehouse. I did not notice a notice but that doesn't mean a notice was not there...I may simply have not noticed the notice.

If I walk by there again and see anything else, I'll reply here with an update.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafe del Mar

re #4: Now I'm wondering if when I saw the tables outside on my last trip, they were moving things out of the building... LOL.

westcoast
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cafe del Mar

Yikes! Anyone thinking Playa Los Arcos might reconsider.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cafe del Mar

They started work yesterday on the interior. We were told in April that they were planning to use part of the galllery as an entrance to the future condos upstairs, but that Cafe del Mar would be back in the same location, but with slightly less interior space, by this fall