We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport for minors

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
Passport for minors

Hello all, my daughters are 2 and 8. They are US citizens. Do they need a passport to go to travel to mazatlan?

We are driving to mazatlan in a little bit more than a month, but some people are saying kids under 15 dont need passports, is this true?

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Passport for minors

J R, here is a link to the page from the US State Department regarding passports:

…state.gov/content/…do-i-need.html

<Traveling by Land> "U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land from Canada or Mexico may present an original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Citizenship".

Hope that helps.

Se diviertan!

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
Level Contributor
14,501 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Passport for minors

The link in #1 refers to requirements to re-enter the U.S. The requirements for entering Mexico are listed here: mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html

The key sentence is "As of March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children -- must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico." I believe your children are required to get passports.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: Passport for minors

Thank you for pointing that out SteveMex, as upon further reading, that is the requirement for US citizens under the age of 16, to *re-enter the Us*; not for them to enter Mexico.

From that same (US) State Department page, "Before you travel, learn the entry requirements of the foreign country you are traveling to".

So I do believe SteveMex has quoted the correct Mexican requirements for US minors to enter their country. Anything beyond the "border zone" requires a US Passport or Passport card.

J R, here is a link to applying for US Passports for minors:

…state.gov/content/…under-16.html

Since you leave in a month; you should be able to expedite this process as well for an additional fee. Usually the Passport Office is busy this time of year, so if you do not want to delay your trip, I'd pay the fee. Current routine processing time is 4 - 6 weeks; expedited service is within 3 weeks door to door.

Se diviertan!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
4. Re: Passport for minors

thank you both

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Passport for minors

You do not mention if the children's mother will be with them or not, rules do apply not....

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
6. Re: Passport for minors

Yes, its me, my wife and our 2 girls

7. Re: Passport for minors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 30, 2015