We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Topic
So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

For years everyone in Maz has been anticipating Costo would come...and that time is now. Per M Magazine (which is very good) there's a new mall coming in November, that will include the 34th Costo in Mexico. The mall is called Plaza Sendero and will be adjacent to Highway 15. It will have a total of 198 stores, and for our movie lovers will include 10 theaters.

In the meantime for the Marina Galarias that opened only last year, a huge new Sears store opened April 29th, and a second Sam's Club location is under construction next door. That's not all as the article talks about the new baseball stadium and more development in the Marina / Convention area including 1,500 new hotel rooms.

Here's a link with the rest of the details.

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/…862-growth-spurt

Edited: 10:08 am, May 18, 2014
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

K-Man it's Walmart that's well known in the U.S. for building large stand alone stores, often in the middle of nowhere. I drove past a Walmart in Kansas that was literally built in the middle of the wheat fields. That's the Walmart business model...getting tax concessions from a community, then building massive stores which eventually displace mom and pop businesses in neighboring small towns and villages.

However at least in the states, the Costco business model is geared for metro urban / suburb areas. Typically in or adjacent to a mall. For example as tony mentions Arizona has multiple stores in Phoenix area malls, with the only other store in AZ being a stand alone in Tucson. Illinois has 16 Costco stores in Chicago metro, and one in the city of Peoria.

New York has 15 Costco stores, with every one being in Metropolitan New York City, or adjacent Long Island. Walmart may be in the wheat fields of Kansas, but keeping true to their business model Costco is only in Metro Kansas City (with one store is a stand alone like Calgary).

Metropolitan Maz and Costco are a match made in heaven. Hopefully the marriage will take place sooner than later.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

That is garbage!!

Wal-Mart does buy large tracts of land but sets their stores back and offers the frontage to other retail development. There are examples of this all over.

Here is a view of Grand Rapids, MN. Notice the stores on the highway. These are privately owned, including the land, they purchased from Wal-Mart One of these stores is a national chain.

wikimapia.org/…b

Here is Fort Meyers, FL. Once again, notice the businesses on the highway frontage including a national chain store

wikimapia.org/…b

At any rate, Costco (or Costo if you prefer the spin version) is probably not coming to Mazatlan to stabilize anything.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

The parsing of every word and sentence continues....complete with spell check, and garbage references.

Then again the critical point is not that Maz has been lobbying Costco for years, and the question of whether reports they were successful will come to fruition. No, no....what really, really matters is whether the adjective in or "NEAR" is used in the description !......LOL

Edited: 5:22 pm, May 23, 2014
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

What does any of this thread have to do with Mazatlan travel?

Let it go. You don't always have to have the last word.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

"What does any of this thread have to do with Mazatlan travel?"

Other than dozens of questions about wanting to shop on the way in from the airport, and travelers here asking for years if there would ever be a Costco for shopping ??

Edited: 9:28 am, May 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Hi Aquamaz,

I do enjoy your many posts by the way. I find them to be like Cabanabob, very informative.

Regarding Walmart here in Canada. It's almost the opposite of the format in the USA. Here Walmart is usually one of the larger anchor tennants of a large mall. Of the many Walmarts and there are several, I know of only 1 stand alone Walmart in Calgary. Here it's Costco that is the stand alone business. Different cities, different countries, different business models.

I guess the big question is, are we getting a Costco in Mazatlan or aren't we?

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Interesting thread, for several wrong reasons!

In Ontario, every Walmart I know of is stand-alone....never seen any as an "anchor store". I haven't a clue as to the Walmart business model, except that it is to reduce all costs to the absolute minimum, and damn the torpedos. Probably this means doing things differently depending on the location and local conditions...yes?

Costco might have a similar approach, and are trying to finagle the right local conditions. It would be nice if they succeed.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Wal-Mart approach might be damn the torpedoes but Costco's is damn the whole fleet.

Costco is fairly new to Minnesota. They opened a store about fifty miles from us and one day we were over there and decided to check them out. We asked to walk through and see if we liked it. The answer was a very firm no.

You will pay $55.00 or you are not coming in .No if's, ands or buts!

Needless to say we have never been in a Costco nor will we ever be with that attitude on their part.

I know Wal-Mart buys all their milk, bread products, soft drinks potato chip type products, etc locally. Costco hauls all of this in and all the money out. They are not an asset to the community.

I have also done a Google street view on all of the Costco's in Phoenix, AZ. They are all in their own buildings and not connected to any mall or plaza. Other commercial is very close but they are in their own free standing building.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Hey Cabanabob,

Wow, policies sure are different in different parts of the of our two countries. Before we joined Costco here in Calgary, Alberta we did exactly the same thing. We asked if we could walk through or perhaps get a day pass like Sam's Club in order to see if we would like to join. The manager we spoke with was very amiable and said Costco did not issue day passes but we were certainly welcome to look around but reminded us that we could not make any purchases without a membership card as our purchases would not be accepted at the checkout. We liked what we saw so we joined.

No Sam's Club here yet.

As I said earlier "Different cities, different countries, different business models."

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Though it has nothing to to with 'Travel to Mazatlan', this does relate to the current thread big time. Read "The Wal-Mat Effect" and you will probably never walk in to a Wal-Mart again.