We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Priced Airline tickets

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
MN
Level Contributor
250 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Priced Airline tickets

I want to get a good price on the airfare to Mazatlan next winter - hopefully from Phoenix. Does anyone know of a website (like a Travelocity, Orbitz, etc) that notifies you when the price of the ticket is reduced from the price shown when you first inquire-I hope I have explained this O.K.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
806 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

Hello Suzan,

All of the above mentioned sites allude to having a "best price" guarantee.

Since you will be flying out of Phoenix to Mazatlan, US Airways has a direct flight from Phoenix to Mazatlan and they generally have some pretty good pricing.

2. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:39 pm, March 28, 2015
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

Under your name it shows MN...are you wanting Minnesota or Phoenix? There are charters out of MN...that are nonstop...if those would work??

MN
Level Contributor
250 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

I do live in MN but will be in CA and AZ when I want to leave for Mazatlan next winter. I want to avoid having to go back to MN to get to Mexico!!!!

La Mesa ca
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

Depending on what part of Calif. you will be in you can fly to Mazatlan out of Tijuana Mex for about a third of any US flight. Im flying down this Sunday for about $170 round trip. That includes extra baggage for my golf clubs. There are several good options to and from TJ airport from San Diego. They offer sales similar to Southwest airlines online for the best prices. When driving is not an option I have used Volaris exclusively the last 5 yrs for my mexico travel. Very satisfied

J R
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

Also, if you are going to buy your tickets thru one of these websites, avoid buying during the weekends and during the afternoon weekdays. You will find better prices if you buy around noon Monday thru Wednesday, you could save anywhere from $30 to $100 per ticket

And remember that it is more expensive to fly during the weekend, lets say Thursday thry Sunday, compared to flying lets say a Monday or a Tueday

austin,tx
Level Contributor
488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

I use Kayak to search for 99% of my flights. Once you sign up on their web site, you can get fare alerts sent to your email.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

And ALWAYS check the airline's website before you buy (click the "Flexible Dates" button there)! I've had my best luck surfing fares very early in the AM FWIW.

Edited: 4:44 pm, May 14, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

There are many fare tracker websites. I believe hotwire has one integrated into their site and then there's airfare watchdog?? I think and a few others. IF you google air fare tracker, you will find them. The problem I've had with using them 2 fold. 1, they will notify you if the price drops by $1, which can be too much and usually causes me to lose interes. and 2, it's usually the worst flight time that drops (leaves at 6 am or takes 12 hours for a flight that should take 4)... so, whenever I click on the "your flight had dropped" link, once I filter out the terrible flights and get back to the decent flight times.. it hasn't dropped. But, if you are flexible, some people are successful with them.

Edited: 5:27 pm, May 14, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
806 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lower Priced Airline tickets

I have always found the best place to search for airfares is on the airlines website. If you sign up on thier site they will send you alerts to seat sales and flight specials.

A lot of the other sites, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz always have what they call flight specials but the flight shedules are brutal. Nothing like a 31 hour 3 stop flight ordeal to help you realize you only saved $50.00.