We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

So, I'm back to the land of 10,000 lakes and finally getting around to writing about our stay. We stayed at the Riu and loved it!!! We found it to be very clean and the entertainment staff worked their tails off. My kids loved the activities so much at the resort I couldn't convince them to leave the place until the end of the week. My husband took the kids fishing on our last full day there. They chartered a boat through the hotel because it was just easier. They caught a lot of fish (they were bottom fishing) and brought some back to the resort. One of the chefs cooked them for us and brought them down by the pool so we could all enjoy the fish for lunch. It was fabulous!

We also went to Mr. Lionso (sp?) two nights and loved the food. I was so happy to have beer in a bottle (not something I ever saw at the hotel). The kids rode horses on the beach, my daughter got her hair braided, we boogie boarded... and did a lot of nothing. Overall, it was a great relaxing vacation with no data connection and the ability to truly "check out" for a week.

One of things that struck me was the vendors on the beach by the hotel. I found them to be very polite, but what was interesting was that they all seemed to prefer to be paid in American money. There were a million Canadians at the Riu and they noticed the same thing. They preferred American over pesos (and the Canadian dollar). On several occasions, I even gave them the choice of pesos or American and they always chose American. Just thought it was interesting.

Anyway, that's my brief summary of a great week.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

I forgot to mention my appreciation for all the advice and discussion on this forum. The tips on getting a taxi and avoiding the timeshare people was invaluable. I forgot to warn my kids what would be happening, though and they were horrified and appalled at my "rude" behavior when I wouldn't stop and let the people "help" us get to our resort. LOL.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Great report. thanks for sharing ,

Hope you will do a review of the RIU Ebay.

Joy

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Nice trip report! Glad you enjoyed your time in Mazatlan. It's too cute that your kids were appalled at your "rude" behavior!!! That's 1 time rudeness is a plus! LOL.

Odd about the vendors wanting American Dollars. We were always quoted prices in dollars 1st, but then I'd ask for the peso price because I didn't have USD on me!

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Nice report cindy, and I'll bet your kids really enjoyed their experience of boogie boarding by Mr. Lionoso (with two O's and pronounced lee o NO so). Was that their first time seeing ocean waves?

Next time you might want to try the zip lines for your kids, as they get rave reviews for safety and fun. It will also give you a chance to get a feel for the beautiful hills and mountains that surround Maz. The zip lines can be booked right through Mr. Lionoso's and the van can pick you up there too.

I'm with cindy on doing a lot of nothing. Which only proves Mazatlan is a place with the capability and enough places to go for a slow way down getaway, or a go, go, go time like SunSeeker and Jack H.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks Cindy for coming back to the forum and posting about your trip. Glad you had a great trip!

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

AguaMaz - I've never known Mr. Lionso's to be spelt with the additional "o" or pronounced the way you describe. Pictures of the restaurant show it spelt Lionso. But I know you spend a lot of time in the area surfing and know the restaurant well so what have I been missing about the name and how it's pronounced?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

I'm glad I'm not the only one with difficulty spelling /pronouncing Mr. Lionso/Lionoso. I thought I remembered it being spelled Lionso, but then when I asked how it was pronounced they told me the same thing AquaMaz did.....hence my issues (only a few among many).

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

The restaurant website spells it ''Mr Lionso".

http://www.mrlionso.com/en/menu.php

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Excellent trip report. It should be helpful. But perhaps the vendors were telling you the price in US dollars so you could better understand the cost without having to do the exchange rate thing. In addition, I hope you bargained the price with them. That is always fun.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

I thought they were telling me in American for that reason as well, but then I specifically asked whether they wanted American or pesos because I had both and they wanted American. I totally enjoyed negotiating. I quickly discovered during the week that my bargaining power was directly correlated to the number of people at the hotel. : )