We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Phone Question

I got a new phone and I want to use my old phone ( Motorola Razr XT910 ) for my Mexican phone.

I got my unlock code and removed the SIM from my *antique* Mexican mobile. According to the instructions you have to insert the SIM card from the old phone ( clamshell motorola ) into the new phone and then enter the unlock code.

The Mexican SIM was twice the size of the slot, so my question is this.

Can I go to a Moviestar office and get a new SIM and keep my phone number?

If so, does anyone know where a Moviestar office is located? I've never seen one. I've always gone to Farmacia Moderna for my minutes and I bought the phone from Adon who works at The El Cid. I don't want to be running all over town without a working phone and I'm embarrassed to use my Mexican phone now. If anyone can help...let me know please.

Thank You

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Question

I tried to sort through all that but I'm lost.

If you cant do whatever you're trying to do and you already have a Movistar number, just buy a new Movistar phone. The last one I got was at Fabrica France place at Grand Plaza. It was like 15 bucks or something and they set me up with the same number.

Also, I always just add minutes on ezetop.com.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone Question

We just go to TelCel and buy a throw away every trip. They had a deal at Christmas: 200 Pesos, which included 100 pesos' time (IE: $8.00 for the phone itself). The rep told us we can use this one next trip since we'll be back within six months.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
791 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone Question

We bought ourselves a Mexican phone a couple of years ago and just buy more minutes for it when we come to Mexico. The phone was cheap and a lot less trouble than what you are going through now.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone Question

If it has not moved, Movistar is in the same strip mall as Soriana's, the one across the street from Home Depot.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone Question

I suppose a different question might help, so I'll ask again. Can my number from my ANTIQUE 3/4 inch SIM card be moved to another smaller SIM card that will fit my phone?

My concern is keeping all my numbers and all my contacts that are on the antique SIM card. I don't want another phone. I want to use my old one from here, so I can take pics, and browse the internet etc.

My antique mexican phone still works fine but my old phone from here will work even better.

6. Re: Phone Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:42 pm, March 28, 2015
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone Question

Thank you very much BJones.

On the way in from the airport I'll stop at the store by Soriana and see what they can do.

british columbia
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phone Question

cutting the sim down does work...that is how I unlocked my rogers xt910 razr...with a chopped down bell sim...remember- measure twice , cut once...and now I have an AT&T go phone sim in it for cheap roaming anywhere

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phone Question

Curtwill,

The actual gold part of the SIM is a lot larger than the gold part of the SIM in my XT910.

Do I cut the edges ( around the gold part ) or do I just make the whole thing ( gold part and border ) the same size? I emailed cellunlocker.net ( my unlock provider ) but being a Sunday, I haven't received an answer yet.

They DID say in the instructions provided that the SIM I want to use should be IN the phone I want to unlock before proceeding with the unlock;

What did you cut it with? Scissors or a razor?

Thanks.;,

10. Re: Phone Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:41 pm, March 28, 2015