We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Perceptions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Perceptions

We just returned from a 2-week stay in Mazatlan, and it was absolutely wonderful. Beautiful weather, great food, and the usual friendly Mazatlan people.

One thing different this year than our last 20 in Mazatlan was the HEAVY presence of police patrol vehicles. As you know they patrol with their red and blue flashing lights on all the time, which at night are quite prominent. They were patrolling heavily on Sabola from the Marina to around El Cid. They were in other areas as well, but that path was very prominent - we often counted five to six vehicles traveling in near caravan fashion. Only once did we see them actually acting on an incident, and that involved a rather drunk lady yelling on the sidewalk that she had been robbed by one of the hotels, and it was quickly settled.

The point is that all these patrols create possibly two feelings: We feel safe because there are lots of police around, or we feel in danger because there must be a reason for all these police around. If you are a regular in Mazatlan, it no doubt doesn't bother you. If you are new to Mazatlan it just might make you quite nervous that this much police activity is necessary.

So is Mazatlan contributing to a perception of imminent or current danger with this activity? We think they might be.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Safety Perceptions

SpeedO.. you've made a good piont.

Roger... For future reference.. Secretary of Tourism and US or Canada Embassy is where one can start for filing complaints. Information I assumed you would have known. But then again you don't even remember what I had originally written to you when I was looking for help.

Now back to siestas and comida.. Life is good in the land of corruption!!

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
779 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Safety Perceptions

Your're a regular on here and I don't doubt this at all. However it's very dissapointing to hear. They're are bad apples out there on the force, but its rare. And it's especially rare the way it happened to you. Normally with foreigners it happens when you're driving (or if they are really breaking the law).

Can you provide all the details?? I for one would be very interested in hearing them.

I forget the official name of the Department but by all means you SHOULD report it! If it was me I would go down to city hall by the Cathederal and ask around there where is the best department.

Also always ask for their name and number, ALWAYS when they do this and write it down. And then dont give them the mordida if you didn't break the law. I know it can be intimidating to many, but over 20+ years of travel driving throughout Mexico I never have nor will I.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Safety Perceptions

Speedo.....8:00? Really? Then who are all those old farts I see in Gus & Gus, Roots, and Plaza Machado AFTER 8:00? (Like 10, 11, 12?)

Renee (Glacierlady) not only do I remember what you told me, I still have it. "Is there someone I can call to report them frisking my mexican boyfriend, not finding anything, and then they drive away with him, take his $$ and dump him out a few blocks away!!! I jumped in a pulmonia and followed... was too upset to think about looking for a car number." And your next statement "This just ****** me off as it happened last year too but he didn't have any $$$ nor ID that time and they talked to me and searched my belongings too but then let us go." was sort of a red flag for me. It has happened to you TWICE? That tells me that though you believe you just look like a couple average tourists ("and we don't look like trouble either!!"), the police obviously don't think so. I had a cop in Navajoa make a very half hearted attempt to shake me down as I was driving through a year ago. (I was headed back to my motel after diner and it WAS late.) I started polite, then escalated a bit and made a bit of noise. He backed of rapidly.

And lastly, you already knew what to do and who to talk to. " For future reference.. Secretary of Tourism and US or Canada Embassy is where one can start for filing complaints. Information I assumed you would have known." I of course knew that. And so did you. So I repeat, what did you expect me to do? We are Tourist Aides. Not cops, not representatives of the government. Had that happened right in front of me, yea, I would have jumped in. But after the fact, no names, not vehicle number, no exact time, there is nothing I could have done to help you.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Safety Perceptions

Yes.. 2x the police have harrassed us as we walk home from a movie! The 1st time they did let us go on our way and that was what I was expecting on the 2nd time. But to have them throw my boyfriend in the car for no reason what so ever and drive away leaving me standing there was VERY shocking to me. I had NO IDEA where to start a complaint. I have now learned alot more starting with ... don't trust the cops!!!!

35. Re: Safety Perceptions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 13, 2015