We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan or Manzanillo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mazatlan or Manzanillo

I've never been to either and am wondering what the difference is? I'm sorry but I'm not even sure how far apart they are.

We are late 40s, like to walk the beach, check out the town, don't need much of a night life. I do dive and love to snorkel but that's not a priority on this trip. We just need to relax and decompress.

We are planning 2 weeks at the end of January.

I'm looking at the RIU Emerald Bay in Mazatlan or the Tesoro in Manzanillo.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Weather is iffy in Mazatlan & can be chilly being several hundred miles farther North

Manzanillo is far better weather & is the statistically the safest city in Mexico. Great Beaches, decent diving/snorkeling & excellent eats.

Far less touristy than Mazatlan.

Edited: 1:52 pm, December 24, 2013
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
304 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Been to both many times. IMO, Mazatlan wins hands down. Differences are many....Maz is what your 'REAL' Mexican experience should be......Manz not so much.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Mazatlan is a city. It has upwards of 500,000 residents so it has an old town, a touristy Gold Zone, a working city downtown, wealthy residential areas as well as middle class and lower (Economic) class and on the outskirts, some poor areas.

Manzanillo was a tiny fishing village and now has a touristy Gold Zone. Perhaps others know of more there?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Last two weeks of January...WITHOUT a doubt...Manzanillo. Mazatlan can be very cold.....depending on the fronts coming in. Just too far north.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

There is no beach community in Mexico LESS touristy than Manzanillo.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

I'vev never been to Manzanillo but as far as the weather you can't argue that the weather may be warmer in January. Although I have been to Mazatlan in January and February and found plenty of sunshine. The evenings can be a little cool.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Then there was the 39 degree low one morning here. The locals were wearing woolen gloves and heavy jackets.

Did some surfing on Manzanillo, looks like an interesting winter option that we might try.

There are direct flights on United from IAH.

Thanks for the tip.

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Thank for all the input. We decided on Manzanillo. It's been -20 since early December here, with a few warmer days (Christmas was very mild) so hot hot hot is in order.

We surfed in Hawaii and I'm looking forward to trying it again in Manzanillo!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Excellent Surfing South of town

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mazatlan or Manzanillo

Keep in mind that the '39 degree low' was a record breaker and far from normal. The last few days have been fairly 'normal' here. Mid 70's at night, low 80's during the day. (Every place has a 'record' low and a 'record' high. But they are not the 'normal' temps.)