We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mojitos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best Mojitos?

We are headed for Mazatlan in January and were wondering if people have favorite places for Mojitos?

We just got back from Jamaica and were extremely disappointed when our resort (RIU Montego Bay) told us that fresh mint was "out of season" and they could not make a mojito. This was after visiting Bucerias in Mexico and being told that "they don't make mojitos" (at the Royal Decameron). This has become one of our favorite drinks, and we were shocked when we couldn't get this - a rum drink I think invented in Cuba - in the middle of the Caribbean??? Anyway, we are hopeful that good old Mazatlan will come through for us. Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Mojitos?

The people of Maz (locally referred to as Mazalecos) are extraordinarily accommodating and friendly. I'm confident they would go out of their way to help you enjoy your favorite beverage. To be safe you might want to help them along and bring your favorite recipe just in case. Then go to some places where they specialize in mixed drinks.

For example the The Social Club in front of Costa de Oro hotel is quite well known for having a very large selection of beverages. In addition El Presideo Restaurant in El Centro has an incredible selection of beverages lines up behind their bar. Diego told me they try to get a bottle of anything customers recommend.

Lastly I seem to recall Casa Loma has a very wide slice of people from many countries visiting their establishment, and they also have a very impressive bar. You might want to try them too.

Good luck on your quest, and enjoy your trip !

Edited: 6:36 pm, December 10, 2013
Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Mojitos?

If you are at a hotel or bar and can't get a mojito ask if they have a Caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-REEN-yah) , it is a very good drink also, made with a Brazilian rum.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Mojitos?

Thanks, cravethewave. We'll give it a try. However, it is the fresh mint that we are after, not so much the rum.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Mojitos?

We just got back. We stay at the Inn of Mazatlan and they have a new nightly drink special. I'd never before tried a Mojito there as places can either make them or they can't. Thursday nites are Mojito 2 for one nights so i tried them out and they were very very good! Another good place (probably a bit better than the Inn) is Carlos & Lucias Cuban Restaurant. They have always been great there!

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Mojitos?

Hey, thanks mexiladie! The Inn is perfect since we will be staying there for two weeks. Problem solved!

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
781 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Mojitos?

Carlos and Lucias. "Cuba" even taught us how to make one.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Mojitos?

and every time we have been to Carlos and Lucias, Carlos make them him self. They are perfect!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Mojitos?

Cravethewave*****Caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-REEN-yah) , it is a very good drink***I just had my first experience with these in Punta Cana in October ...LOVE them !!!

DC

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Mojitos?

I was also going to recommend Carlos and Lucias!

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Mojitos?

Another vote for Carlos and Lucias - cuban drink best to get at a cuban place!