We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

Might want to read this new carry on policy when department Mazatlan...No more glass, pottery or wood in a carry on board bag...

From Alaska's site...

Pottery, Glass, or Wood (ANY articles made of pottery, glass, or wood may not be carried on board flights departing from Mexico)

alaskaair.com/content/…

Also might want to notice the yellow highlighted item at the top of the page on the above link...new higher fees for baggage starting October 30.

Edited: 6:59 pm, October 21, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,768 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

TravelJudy

Sorry to inform you but that rule has been in place for at least 5+ years. I know because I've encountered the challenge of trying to bring back Hernandez ceramics for that many years on Alaska Airlines.

We've had several threads about it.... and which airlines allow you to bring those items back in carry-on. Delta is one of them that allows it.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

It's never been in print before...some people could bring things back, others could not...depended on which City you were flying out of in Mexico.

I know you were having troubles...but in Zihua it was never a problem to board Alaska with pottery...in Mazatlan, either. In Cabo either. Only in PVR. Weird...so now they have it right at the top...and they sent me this information yesterday to inform clients. If it was an old rule, they would NOT have sent it to me?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,768 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

3. Re: Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

Oct 21, 2013, 8:04 PM

I don't know. Its weird you say it is in "print" now because I've called and they've showed me where to look to find it. I only have PV and Playa del Carmen to compare. I do know it was the same for PDC. That's why we flew Delta in March. I was able to load up on ceramics on carry-on and in my arms as well! Imagine carrying all those fragile items in my arms all day long! But they all made it in one piece. Yayyyyy

I didn't know it was not the same for all Mexican cities. My apologies. :)

4. Re: Alaska Air's new carry on policy departing Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 23, 2014