We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Topic
The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

Mazatlan has two facilities well north of the city where they take turtle eggs to hatch. Then about six weeks later lucky tourists have the magical experience of seeing tiny baby turtles released for their frantic rush to the sea. However very few of our NOB friends have been witness to the now huge mother appearing on shore and using her flipper to dig a hole and lay eggs.

Almost everyone has seen or heard the story of how female Salmon return from the ocean and struggle with their last breathes to lay eggs in the stream where they were born. However not everyone is aware Sea Turtles also return to their birthplace to lay eggs. Last night not one...but three female turtles returned to their birthplace along the Malacon to renew the cycle of life.

The first link below is to the local media coverage for you. You'll have to have it translated, and as usual the literal computer translation will be disjointed and confusing. Below that are two English links with a couple different theories as to why and how Sea Turtles will swim for up to thousands of miles to lay their eggs on the beach where they first entered the ocean.

I think you'll find all the articles interesting:

Speaking of which if you ever do happen upon a mother coming onshore please, please do not interfere. It's a known fact that too much light or too many people can make a mother retreat to the seat and not lay her eggs. The turtles that came ashore last night were from an endangered species.

In addition if she's already laying do not....NOT follow the very poor example you'll see in the Maz photos, where they're digging out the eggs right from under the poor thing. Show some respect and let her finish to return to the sea. At that point there's plenty of time for the eggs to be carefully dug out and taken to the hatchery.

Yes some people claim it's just instinct on the mother's part, and she's not bothered. I'm sure these are also the same people who swear animals don't really have feelings as humans do. Yet anyone who has ever taken care of any animal for more than five minutes knows that's a pretty ignorant position.

www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php…

pbs.org/wnet/…

http://digitaljournal.com/article/351374

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

Something I'd certainly love to witness. I'm in awe of those majestic creatures when I see them out in the deep blue!

alaska
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

One morning as I fished at sun up right in front of tower 360 I spotted movement in the semi-light and a huge turtle walked right by me and re entered the surf. It was pretty cool. I saw where it had layed it's eggs and so did a night watchman who kind of winked at me as we just left them alone. The the eggs were pretty much buried and the flipper marks back into the water had been covered by waves so I wonder if those guys hatched.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

In Mazatlan when you see a turtle lay eggs they ask that you contact the acuario which is a good idea because there is still some poaching going on unfortunately.

Edited: 11:33 pm, September 26, 2013
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

Last spring as I was walking to Joe's I encountered a turtle laying right in front of Playa Mazatlan.

Playa security did a great job of keeping people at a safe distance.

It was an interesting experience to watch.

When the Mama turtle was done people from the Acuario arrived and took the eggs to their hatching facility.

Interesting experience to see.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

Have you ever seen a photo like this?? Amazing....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

Amazing... Never saw the Mother turtles .. only the babies being released...

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

I took some good photos of a momma laying eggs on Playa Olas Altas a couple of weeks ago. Everyone kept at a respectable distance and the lifeguard called the aquarium.

Estrella del Mar also has a very successful sanctuary that you can tour. They collect the eggs and using sand from where they were laid, placed in styrofoam coolers. They are GPS marked and when they start hatching they are returned to the same spot.

8. Re: The Turtles Are Coming...The Turtles Are Coming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan