We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Does anyone know if there is a cashier at El Cid El Moro that you can exchange US Dollars for Pesos? I'd rather not have to deal with going to a bank or ATM.

Edited: 6:19 pm, July 31, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Aguamaz - yep they moved earlier this year. Really miss their former location which was very convenient.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

HSBC charged 33.35 when we were there in December and May. Our Fidelity cash management account automatically reimburses the fees, so it's a non-event for us.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I stay at Moro every year and it is often a pain to exchange money at the Moro counter. They often say they are out of money or don't have small bills. Save yourself some hassle and go straight to the Castilla counter as they usually seem much more prepared and willing to exchange money. You will get a better rate at one of the various "casas de cambio" along Cameron Sabalo.

Edited: 10:06 am, August 05, 2013
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Don't some Mexican banks have a reciprocal relationship with NOB banks, and you can use your card as if still in your home country? For example Bank of America owns, or at least did own, 24.9% of Santander Bank, and Santander has a branch across from the Inn at Mazatlan. Scotiabank, which was originally formed in Halifax, has at least one branch in Mazatlan between the MEGA and Home Depot stores.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I know of three Scotiabank locations....the newest is next to Soriana's on Raphael Buelna, there is another that should be well-known to Sabalo Centro bus riders, as the bus turns down to the mercado, kitty corner to the shrimp ladies, and the main branch, which is on the main road into the city past Walmart and Leys store.

However, in my somewhat horrible experience, the connection between Scotiabank in Mazatlan and in Canada is rather tenuous. There are indeed many arrangements in place to have fees covered, but you really have to sort this out with your own bank back home....I think this applies in the U.S. Part ownership has nothing to do with it.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I have an ATM/bank account with Bank of America. When I used the AM at Santadar they charged a fee, but in the spring they reimbursed me for the fee. I also used Scotia Bank near Home Depot and was not charged a fee. Both provided up-to-the minute international exchange rates.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

mazexp....that's interesting!

I have come to the conclusion that your bank back home will give you preferred treatment on fees if you ask, and they agree of course. Like I said, it all seems to depend on your own relationship with your bank, and less on any affiliations between banks. I have had fees reversed on my return to Canada when I complain!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
408 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I am a B of A customer and have never been charged a fee at Santander ATM's. I always get the wholesale exchange rate which is at least a peso better than the street/hotel rate. This applies to all B of A customers.

Kimo

Edited: 10:48 am, August 07, 2013
19. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2014