We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Carbondale...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
food

We are staying in a suite with a kitchenette.....are foods generally ok to buy to cook?

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: food

Lara - I think you'll do just fine with the foods in Mazatlan. We usually go to Soriana or Mega and get enough for our time in Maz. Where we live and the foods we have access to has no consequence since you are not visiting here. I would also suggest a Spanish dictionary, unless you are fluent since most labels are in Spanish only. From El Cid Marina you will have to take a pulmonia to the stores as the buses are not handicap accessible, the stores I mentioned are as I recall. I have seen people in wheelchairs at the Centro Mercado but I would think it would be very difficult. Enjoy Mazatlan!!!

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: food

I should also mention that it is very easy to get about in the golden zone, if you catch a pulmonia from El Cid Marina to Pancho's in the golden zone you can shop and enjoy MANY restaurants all through the day and everything is handicap accessible. All the sidewalks there are very new and easy to navigate. Did I mention there are a lot of places to shop? You may also enjoy the sea shell museum, across the street from Ponchos and they have a lot of "collectibles". While there go to Margaritas, it is open air, and have Patricio bring you a drink balanced on his head. You should also visit Twisted Mama's and have a Margarita made at your table by Rueben, although I would suggest that be toward the end of the day. Enjoy Mazatlan!!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: food

We are in Mazatlan now, and have been shopping at the Mega. Everything we have had so far has been much better than I have ever had back home (in Alberta). The Avocados are enormous, and perfectly ripe. The pineapples, watermelon, and Mangos have all been delicious. Cheese (Oaxaca is my favourite) is available in abundance....and I made the BEST OMELETTE I have ever had this morning...eggs, onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, Oaxaca cheese, and avocado...sorry, but my opinion is that some things are just better in Mexico ;). If you are worried about what you are buying, there is a Walmart too, but the Mega is within walking distance to the Golden Zone, and has everything anyone could need.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: food

We are in Mazatlan now, and have been shopping at the Mega. Everything we have had so far has been much better than I have ever had back home (in Alberta). The Avocados are enormous, and perfectly ripe. The pineapples, watermelon, and Mangos have all been delicious. Cheese (Oaxaca is my favourite) is available in abundance....and I made the BEST OMELETTE I have ever had this morning...eggs, onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, Oaxaca cheese, and avocado...sorry, but my opinion is that some things are just better in Mexico ;). If you are worried about what you are buying, there is a Walmart too, but the Mega is within walking distance to the Golden Zone, and has everything anyone could need.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: food

Love Mega's produce. Also the deli food is outstanding if you want a take out meal.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: food

Hello Lara B.

We recently returned from a month long vacation in Mazatlan. We prepared our own meals about 80% of the time since we had a well equipped condo and my wife and I both like to cook. She is a fabulous cook and I'm good at cutting the veggies and pouring the Sangria.

Anyway back to the point. We did all of our shopping at the Mega store. They have a great bakery section and the bread products are excellent. The produce was excellent and very tasty, far better than we can get at home at this time of the year. We have great produce back in Alberta but it is seasonal and we have a very short growing season. The shrimp, fish and other seafood was outstanding. You can't beat that. It's very simple, if you want good beef I think Alberta or Texas are two of the best places to get it. If you want good seafood, Mazatlan is high on the list. The seafood is fresh daily.

The foods you buy in Mazatlan are perfectly safe to eat. Wash the fruits and veggies like you do back home and you should have not problems. A tip, try not to buy too much at once as you may end up throwing out perishables that you don't refrigerate faster than back home. We generally buy enough for 2 or 3 days at a time. The Mega is a 7 peso bus ride away. We've been vacationing in Mazatlan for years and have never gotten sick from anything we ate there. Again, my humble opinion only.

Enjoy your stay in Mazatlan.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: food

Hello Lara B.

We recently returned from a month long vacation in Mazatlan. We prepared our own meals about 80% of the time since we had a well equipped condo and my wife and I both like to cook. She is a fabulous cook and I'm good at cutting the veggies and pouring the Sangria.

Anyway back to the point. We did all of our shopping at the Mega store. They have a great bakery section and the bread products are excellent. The produce was excellent and very tasty, far better than we can get at home at this time of the year. We have great produce back in Alberta but it is seasonal and we have a very short growing season. The shrimp, fish and other seafood was outstanding. You can't beat that. It's very simple, if you want good beef I think Alberta or Texas are two of the best places to get it. If you want good seafood, Mazatlan is high on the list. The seafood is fresh daily.

The foods you buy in Mazatlan are perfectly safe to eat. Wash the fruits and veggies like you do back home and you should have not problems. A tip, try not to buy too much at once as you may end up throwing out perishables that you don't refrigerate faster than back home. We generally buy enough for 2 or 3 days at a time. The Mega is a 7 peso bus ride away. We've been vacationing in Mazatlan for years and have never gotten sick from anything we ate there. Again, my humble opinion only.

Enjoy your stay in Mazatlan.

18. Re: food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 30, 2014