We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eggs....

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Black Hawk
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eggs....

SunSeeker mentioned this subject so thought I would pose the topic...

After the wife and I had wonderful breakfast this AM at Panama Cafe, I have to ask "why are the eggs in Mexico so much better than in the "ultra sterile" USA"? Here they have white whites and nearly orange yolks... And they have flavor! Yummy....

And don't get me started on the amazing taste of the chicken and beef.... What have we done to ourselves "up north"?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
735 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eggs....

Hi JerryDani,

Are you kidding me? Have you never tried Alberta beef?. Best anywhere.

As for the eggs and chicken, I grant you that it is quite tasty. You know they don't refrigerate their eggs here.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eggs....

Best eggs ever!!

Went in to Panama today to order a cake for a party tomorrow night and it was packed!! We'll have to try there for breakfast. Went to Allegro Café today and was surprisingly disappointed. I ordered Eggs Benny (as usual there) with my eggs soft. The eggs came hard. The potatoes were under cooked. I didn't get a glass of ice water and our side of bacon never showed up. So for anyone who's keeping score I had a terrible dinner last night and a terrible breakfast this morning - and you know how much I love my food!! We have early dinner reservations with friends tonight (we generally enjoy eating quite a bit later) but seeing as we're going early I denied my instincts to head down the beach to Pancho's for some lunch! I gotta tell you though - wine time is starting early today as a result! 2:30 pm and I'm pouring my first wine.

Sorry I was supposed to be talking about eggs!

Edited: 5:26 pm, April 02, 2013
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
351 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eggs....

We have eaten at Panama's several times over the years for breakfast and we have always had great meals. It is always packed so that is a pretty good sign the food is good and they deliver a good value. Everyone should try a breakfast there!!!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eggs....

In answer to your question Jerry Dani, ....the chickens are corn fed and not grain fed and maybe even free range. So the eggs and chickens have much different flavour than what we are used to. Also, I have researched this and the eggs are not washed so they still have a protective coating on them therefore can be left unrefridgerated for some time. In Canada and U.S. they undergo a chemical wash to remove the protective coating that makes them very smooth to the touch.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eggs....

I'll give you the eggs and maybe the chicken but the beef I eat NOB is far better than anything I have ever had in Mazatlan. As one example; I had fillet mignon and shrimp at Panchos a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe what they call fillet. I don't go to Mazatlan for beef though, I go for the Mariscos.

Edited: 8:49 pm, April 02, 2013
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eggs....

PS sorry my edit timed out. I love Panchos and eat there often.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eggs....

The chickens are far from free range. The egg 'factories' are just like the US, but smaller. The also feed the chickens dandelions for bright yellow yolks.

As to steaks, try the 'Black Burro' at Il Mosto, or ANY steak at Hacienda Bracamontes on the Malecon. It is new, pricy, but fabulious!

And another great steak place, 2 doors north of Bracamontes, is La Parrilliada. Simple, basic, but delicious T-Bones. Had a great staek there Sunday.

Edited: 11:13 pm, April 02, 2013
Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eggs....

I've been told that the pink cartons of eggs are from the free range chickens. As for amazing steak Texas and Australia have it covered.

Mega has a great T-Bone every time I've cooked it and its only about $5 US each, nice and thick too.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eggs....

Steaks?

A few years ago good steaks were very hard to find, which is why many of discovered Henderson's. Then we discovered Mary's, in the mercado just inland from the Fisherman's monument, where the filete is still excellent. Recently, we have had good luck at both Mega, and particularly Soriana's, where we bought the t-bones every week this winter. Someone once told me that the problem was that Mexican butchers cut the meat "differently" than we are used to....whether or not that was the problem I don't know, but the improvement in the stores meat came at about the same time Mega moved and Soriana took over. Gigante.

We can all believe whatever story we hear, but nowadays we enjoy very good steaks in Maz. In restaurants....well we never order steaks in restaurants, too much else on the menu!

10. Re: Eggs....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, April 03, 2013