We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sunspree

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sunspree

Hi this will be my 3rd time to Mazatlan I was wondering if anybody stayed at this hotel and if so how are the restaurant around there. I was never that far north in the golden zone. If anybody knows which store is better for beer and snacks Gigante or walmart.

If anybody wants some restaurant info or hotel info (I stayed at Los sobloes and Riviera) .

thanks

Toronto, ON
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Sorry I can't answer your question about this hotel, but I was wondering if you could tell me more about the Riveria hotel. My wife and I are planning to stay there over x-mas

Burnsville,mn
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Would like any information you have about the Riviera. We will be there Jan 10th thru the 17th. Thank you, Dave

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Back on the OP's questions (suggestion - you might want to reply to the queries about the Riviera in a new message thread with the hotel name in the title. It'll help people find it in the future, and keep your Sunspree query on track), the Holiday Inn Sunspree is in what I think is a bit of an odd location, isolated from the hyperactive portion of the Zona Dorado by the bulk of the El Cid megacomplex, and on the road leading to the northern hotel cluster with the Pueblo Bonito (original), Luna Palace, Oceano Palace and others. There's a bus stop right in front of the hotel and there'll be plenty of pulmonia traffic for transportation. I've never looked at the property itself, except for noting that the entranceway (Porte-cochere if you want to get snooty about it.....) is the fanciest I've seen for a Holiday Inn, which might bode well for the property, and the hotel is beachfront, although again I don't know anything about the beach its on.

With regards to restaurants, you've got two solid choices right across the (busy) street from the property, plus a cleverly named donut shop (part of a chain I think), with the Spanish play on words unreproducible here because the forum software doesn't support diacritical mark:

- Restaurante Los Arcos - When people are learning about Mexican seafood (mariscos) or are squeamish about their restaurant settings, I point them to Los Arcos, which has restaurants in several cities in Mexico (I've eaten in their restuarants in Tijuana and Cuidad Juarez, as well as Mazatlan, and know where they have one in Guadalajara). The settings are clean, bright, and cheery, the menus come in English as well as Spanish, staff is friendly and attentive and if the waiter doesn't speak enough English he'll get somebody who does if you need the help. At the same time the menu offerings which are very competently prepared, AREN'T tourist-trap seafood platter, shrimp, and lobster rip-offs, and extend well beyond the narrow band of ala diabla, al mojo de ajo, frito, or empanizada offerings you find in many marisquerias. The meal ends with a small complimentary kalahua and milk type drink, and a flower for the ladies (either that or that the waiters in every Los Arco's I've been in have been hitting on La Novia in which case there's going to be hell to pay.....).

- (La) Casa Country - Excellent american-style steaks and similar offerings (I had excellent grilled cabrito), with some modest Mexican touches such as chips and salsa and frijoles de olla. Prices are high by my Mexican dining standards, but reasonable when you compare it to what you would pay for a meal of the same caliber in the US.

Finally you've got a couple of tiendas with the grandiose titles of "supermercado" in very close proximity to the hotel and restaurants, where you can stock up on your beer and snacks. Vacations are too short, at least in my book, to waste time on a trip to Gigante or Walmart if all you want is brewskis and junk food.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

We used to own a timeshare at the Holiday Inn. We haven't been back since 2000. You won't find it real fancy but you can't beat the service. Everyone is very kind and helpful. Everytime we visited, we always had the same maid, saw the same bellmen, restaurant staff etc. This tells you something.

The pool is the BEST in all of Mazatlan! You are right on the ocean and can swim up to the edge and look out on the beach, talk to vendors etc. We parasailed once and paid attention to the other ocean front hotel pools. None compared to this one. Also, you get the sun until it sets, there are no buildings to prevent that.

We always walked to the Golden Zone, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. You can walk a fair distance on the beach as well. We liked the location because it was far enough away from the crowds but close enough to the action! We would often pack cerezas in our cooler and head down the beach to the El Cid, the beach is nicer, no rocks.

Have fun!