We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada WestJet

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Canada WestJet

Darn... No flights after end of April.... Can't believe it. We went with them in June 2011 and flights were Full... grrrr

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Canada WestJet

Just booked with WestJet again...but Sorry Mazatlan... it's back to PVR... darn

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Canada WestJet

Flying U.S. Air or American Airlines as they are now called since the merger is not bad going to Mexico. You have about a 1 hour stop in Phoenix but your bags are checked through to your final destination, at least they are from Calgary and you go through US Customs right at YYC.

Coming back is a different story as you go through US Customs in Phoenix and they don't check your bags to your final destination. You have to claim your bags and go through US Customs, then check your bags again for the final leg back to Canada, and "You guessed it" go through Security again. Remember to put your Mexican duty free purchases in your checked bags or lose them to Security.

IMPORTANT NOTE: YOU CAN NOT PUT YOUR MEXICAN DUTY FREE PURCHASES IN YOUR CARRY ON.

You have about a 2-3 hour layover in Phoenix and there are times when you will need every minute of this time to get through Customs and Security. It's a bit of a hassle I know but at least you will be thoroughly pissed off by the time you finally get on board your flight to Canada.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Canada WestJet

I agree about Phoenix .K-Man. Have done that just prior to Xmas from PVR.. NOT fun.Packed customs with Xmas travellers..They wouldn't let us OFF the plane, then All of what you said........ and we were Running to make our connection... I try to Avoid ...lol

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Canada WestJet

Hi JoLee,

Worst experience I had there was when they announced a gate change for our flight a whole 5 minutes prior to boarding. The new gate was at the other end of the terminal and you were expected to check in at the new gate and get your boarding pass re-stamped.

I hope things get better with the merger. All in all, I'd rather fly West Jet.

Edited: 11:14 pm, March 30, 2013
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Canada WestJet

LoL..that would be bad.,I agree Long way from gates.

. Going down from Vancouver..we had No trouble.. they handled our suitcase..and we even got an offer and rode on the little tram.

NOT on the return... We were running on the moving sidewalks,and No tram in sight, that is if you could see through the crowd. We Just Made it.

i agree,and I will Pay more to fly with WestJet.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Canada WestJet

Well worth the extra cost and when you tally it it all up not much of a price difference.

West Jet allows 1 free checked bag and 2 carry ons. Additional bags are $20.00

U.S. Air / AA charges $25.00 for each checked bag and they have been known to weigh your carry on to make sure it's within the limit.

That and the hassle of dealing with US Customs in Phoenix. Well worth the extra cost. Something that should be noted though is that West Jet is affiliated with AA as a travel partner so you could end up on an US Air / AA flight if you are on a West Jet flight that is not non stop.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Canada WestJet

Westjet only allows ONE carryon now ( April 1st.? ) and...it MUST fit in the metal bag guide thing as well as be the correct weight.

The only hassle I had with U.S. customs is that they have cut back on their agents. There was one for about half an hour and then another 2 appeared. At least in Canada all of the booths are filled.

On U.S. air you can upgrade to first class for a measly $100 and then all of your bags are free.

Westjet as far as I know doesn't have a first class.

Difference in Customs

U.S. Customs are polite, courteous and helpful as government employees should be.

Canada Border Services are rude, interrogating and treat their own citizens like dirt.

K-Man....I knew about that merger last year. My friends booked through AA and ended up on a Westjet plane during the summer to Mazatlan. Very interesting about U.S. air. I wonder if Westjet will have to become a member of Star Alliance now like U.S. air is.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Canada WestJet

Yes Gillian, the smart money on US-Air is to upgrade to first class. Much better seats, free drinks and it's less money than just paying for two checked bags. I will qualify that by saying that it holds true when they fly you in the Airbus 319. For a few years since the recession they were flying those Canada AIr 900s to Mazatlan which are not so affectionately known as flying culverts. If Canadians don't like flying through Phoenix I wonder how you would like flying through LAX? That is truly a complete PITA! I've never had an issue with customs in Phoenix; always proffesional and friendly.

Edited: 2:55 pm, April 01, 2013
Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
781 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Canada WestJet

The last couple of years we've gone through Phoenix with US Airways on the way to and from Mazatlan. On the way home we usually have an hour and 10 minutes to get to our flight to Chicago and have never had a problem. Everything from customs to getting to our next flight have always been easy and painless. And no matter what airline you use you have to get your luggage, go through customs, and have it checked in again at every airport in the US, unless, of course, it is your final destination.

20. Re: Canada WestJet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 03, 2014