We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing and Tipping

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing and Tipping

We will be heading for our first trip to Mazatlan in April. My husband and son will be chartering a boat for fishing. Looking for advice on which charter to use, what type of fishing (bottom fishing vs big game fishing) and how much for tipping the deckhands.

thank you!

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing and Tipping

As a general rule they will catch more fish if they go bottom fishing, they have a chance of catching bigger fish if they go deep sea fishing.

I have caught all the striped marlin & sailfish I want to catch in this lifetime so always opt for bottom fishing when given the choice between the three.

A big blue or black marlin, now that's a different story.

I posted a good skippers info on a different thread about pangas vs cruisers take a look.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing and Tipping

The norm is to tip 15-25% and you always give the tip to the captain and he distributes as he sees fit. April can be a little iffy but Birdman gives good advice. Bottom-fishing will be more fruitful unless the Dorado are going off at the bouys. Once the Dorado show up at the bouys it's the best action around. Birdman's favorite captain will know what's biting.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing and Tipping

Thank you both for your advice. We will definately being taking everything into consideration.

4. Re: Fishing and Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 15, 2014