We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"You make the call"

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
"You make the call"

OK so here's the deal. At 6 am I put 2 towels on 2 chairs that I dragged under a palapa at a popular Maz resort. At 9:30 I come back to the palapa and there is a chaise pulled up next to mine and at\rticles of clothing sitting on one of my designated chairs. I removed the clothing and sat down. Where upon this younger woman with a small child proceeded to read me the riot act about removing her stuff. Apparently there is no reserving seats. I can read the sign on the post, but this is done all the time, fair or not! She spends the rest of the day bad mouthing my wife and I for leaving to "stuff our faces"

We are not newcomers to this resort and I know what the sign says but here it is first come, first served. Those that come late fend for themselves. I know, I have been in the same situation with 2 towels at 7am looking for a spot with no one in sight and no palapas without towels draped over the chairs. I would gladly share our space, given the need for shade but did not extend the favor due to an afternoon of verbal onslaught. So, is there a realistic protpcall here?

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "You make the call"

The problem is that so many people are totally inconsiderate when they hog the chairs in the early morning with absolutely no intention of using them until much later in the day. Which is why some hotels have the rules, and post them. They don't always enforce them however.

Luckily we rarely encounter this issue, but when I do, I simply remove the offending idle towels and sit down. There is seldom any abuse, and it is short-lived. A second offence would merit doing away with the towels altogether, and leaving the people on the hook for the deposits!

I suppose you can guess what call I'm making....LOL!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,443 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "You make the call"

You're asking if reserving chairs for 3-1/2hours without using them is acceptable behaviour. Lots do it so it isn't unusual, but it does raise the ire of many as you learned first hand. Would I play the towel game? No, I would not. But I wouldn't hide a hotel owned floatie under my towel either. One of the stories about the towel game was at a resort that had towel cards meaning a lost towel came with a cost. A group partying late went to the chairs before they went to bed...close to sunrise. They gathered a heap of towels and flung them high into a tree, high enough that only staff could retrieve them much later in the day.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "You make the call"

Sorry beab66 but I don't think you're going to find much understanding on this forum. The reality is that the reason any of us even find ourselves in the "towel game" situation is because of the people that reserve chairs when they are not using them. It is much more likely that there would be enough chairs if all of us only reserved them when we needed them. The people who get up early and reserve chairs when they don't plan to use them for several hours are even more problematic. If someone fnds a chair when they need it, use it throughout the day and expect it to be reserved when they are in the pool, the ocean or go for a quick lunch then that is completely acceptable. But if I head to the pool at 8 am and there are no seats and I watch seats go for an hour and a half without being used do I think they are free game? For sure! Have I ever moved anyone's stuff? No, but I'm just chicken! I've actually sat on the cement pool deck when many chairs went unused for hours. But I do curse them under my breath!!

Newman Lake...
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "You make the call"

What you are doing is sooo annoying!! Why are you more important than the rest of us....

5. Re: "You make the call"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 06, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "You make the call"

If you are going to use the chair now, use them. If not, move your stuff so other paying people can enjoy the resort. The practice of sneak down first and horde the chairs should be embarrassing, especially for those who have no intention of using them until they've had their breakfast and/or other activities first.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "You make the call"

6:00 AM to 9:30 AM? Three and one-half hours? Sorry, but that is beyond my tolerance for reserving an unoccupied chair. Get no sympathy from our family.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "You make the call"

That is true but before 10am there is hardly anyone in the chairs. Like I said, I have been on the other end many times. Learned my lesson. Towels will be there at 6am and we will be there earlier. Anyone wishing to share our space is welcome.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "You make the call"

I think this person is "yanking our chains"! Time to move on.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "You make the call"

This is what I do.

I arrive at the beach around 10ish with about 6 towels.

Santos comes running over to help me and he drags 2 loungers next to the first palapa, brings me a table and a chair for Lobo.

I drape each of the loungers with 3 towels and I park all my stuff on one and lie on the other. As the sun moves, so do my loungers and eventually the palapa people leave and we use it.

Santos gets $50 pesos daily for helping me and I get the best location on the beach.

BTW.....Everyone plays the towel game except me because there is no damned way I'm getting up at 6 to get a stupid palapa which I'll get in a few hours anyway.

If anyone *took* my towels while I was away for lunch I would set security on them and let security deal with it.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan