We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

I have read the old post surrounding the explanation of pesos and playing the change game 😄. In respect for the ease of use by locals, we intend to take as much as possible in pesos and Mexican currency. I also know that we will take plenty of 1's & 5's (US), for time that we do not have proper peso denominations in which to use for tips.

What is considered proper for tipping? I know that is somewhat relative to service received, but as a rule, is it similar to US standards of 15 -23% on meals and everything else being relative to type of event or service?

Can someone give a good starting point of what denominations we should take for a week stay. Yeah, I know almost impossible to answer as everyone's spending habits are different.

Credit cards always provide good exchange rates and assume usage at restaurants is good... When using credit cards at restaurants the bill will come in pesos, assume that tips are also in pesos. don't want to tip what I think to be $100 pesos and have it turn out to be $100 US

Thanks

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

I never thought about the waiter not getting the tip. Thanks for that info Judy. Next time I will pay the bill with my tarjeta de credito and then leave a tip in pesos.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

Maybe some employees cheat their employees. Doubt if it is the norm.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

Of course that's some employers...

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

We didnt bother bringing any usd this year. Canadian dollars were accepted everywhere. ( Barra,Maleque this year) (huatulco 2 years ago) We ended up leaving big peso tips on the last day to get rid of them. The atm machines are your best bet if you need pesos.We were charged $83.00 for 1000 pesos with BNS. My buddy is with cibc and incurred a service charge.

Saginaw, Minnesota
Level Contributor
322 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

We usually bring down cash and use the ATM machines, never noticed any abnormal charges for using my card so I must have hit the right machines. I like having peso's when shopping as my perception is that it is easier to negotiate lower prices with cash just like here in the states. As far as tipping this depends on whether it is my wife tipping or myself. Normally I tend to tip a little higher than she does.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

The only place I use my plastic is the hotel and atm machines. For everything else it's straight Pesos and no worries about credit card theft.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

Alegre...it's not always that the owners are out to cheat the employees...maybe the employee quit, maybe the restaurant closed, etc...

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
1,219 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

We always tip in cash, even if we charge the meal.. We have heard that in some restaurants in the U.S. the employer takes the fees out of the tip. Not sure if they do it in Mexico or other countries, but figure they need the tip and they should not have to wait. We tip 15 to 20 percent in Mazatlan depending on the service. We do not tip on the taste of the food, because the wait staff does not have control over that.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
19. Re: Currency for daily use, credit cards, tipping uses and needs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 19, 2014