We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I risk taking my cell phone

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Should I risk taking my cell phone

I have an iphone 4S and I'm considering taking it to Mazatlan and buying a Mexican sim. Good idea, or just dumb?

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

I bought a cheap phone at Telcel for 199 pesos and I got 100 free minutes. It was cheap and covenient. My got one at oxo for the same deal. To my surprise it works in Canada also.

12. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, March 02, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

Most likely WAY too late for your trip - but for future folks wondering the same question - yes, do it!

I brought my IPhone with me to Mazatlan this past March and was VERY happy to have it. I kept it on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges, but was still able to access the free Magic Jack app to call back home, access Facebook and use FaceTime again to keep in touch back home and with my friends IN Mazatlan. I was also able to google directions, etc.

There is TONS of free Wifi locations, so you are always able to use your phone for those sort of things. VERY helpful!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

With Skype for $7.00 per quarter (4 months) you can call any phone (includes cells and hard lines ) in the US for free anytime. Works on computer or cell phones, but you do need a wifi connection. We just turn off cellular and turn on wifi. So everything still works as usual, just can't receive calls.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

We have a niece in Germany who we talked to yesterday on the cell phone via Magic Jack. While there was a slight delay at times (as you see on TV with satellite based interviews), it was mostly a good easy to hear signal. I have a friend who lives in Mazatlan all year now and we communicate via Magic Jack also, so it's available there.

Santa Clara...
7 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

Of course, it will be fine

17. Re: Should I risk taking my cell phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2014